Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fusible Grid Interfacing? >

Fusible Grid Interfacing?

Fusible Grid Interfacing?

Old 06-25-2018, 07:55 AM

Default Fusible Grid Interfacing?

I am planning a quilt using lots of 2.5" (unfinished) or smaller squares and am thinking that using a gridded fusible interfacing might be helpful.

I would appreciate some feedback from those of you who have used such interfacing. Would you use the technique again; why or why not? There seem to be several brands (Bosal, QuiltSmart, and Quilt Fuse). Which brand do you prefer? It would also be helpful to know whether you have sewn together multiple panels of the interfacing to make a larger quilt and any advice you have about doing so!

Thank you in advance!
Old 06-25-2018, 09:40 AM
Power Poster

I took a class last year from Jan Krentz, called Colorwash Hunter Star. We used a fusible 1" grid foundation for a small wallhanging. I enjoyed the class, but I didn't enjoy the technique enough to do it again. If you're unsure whether you want to use that technique, you might try a small project first.

One tool I learned about in that class was the StripStick, which is invaluable if you're ironing the seams in a 1" grid. I bought them in several sizes and have found them helpful when ironing any seams, open or closed. http://www.thestripstick.com/
Old 06-25-2018, 04:46 PM
Power Poster

I’ve used a lot of QuiltSmart fusible interfacing, in fact purchased a whole bolt of the 2” square grid. I love using it for watercolor quilts, I also used it for some pieced blocks. It does add a bit more weight and bulk but everything comes out precise and it is easy to use
Old 06-26-2018, 04:36 AM

Check out Tensisters Quilting with Carmen Geddes. Took a class with her and she has lots of sizes, patterns, ideas. Was fun to do and precise! Our class was with the 2.5 and used a jelly roll!
Old 06-26-2018, 04:42 AM

I did a watercolor quilt using 2.5" squares a number of years ago. It was recommended to use the fusible grid. I did not. I knew I was going to be hand quilting that one and did not want the extra layer or density. Frankly, I had no issues with just lining up the pieces and chain piecing them without the grid. I don't think I'd bother for any other quilt either.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:47 AM

I used it to make mondo bags from Quilt Smart. All the seams match and was easy.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:59 AM

Thank you all for the input. I'm still undecided, but am leaning towards getting one of the fusible grids (probably 2.5") because I can do the design layout on the fusible rather than than using a design wall, then trying to make sure I keep the squares in the desired orientation each time I remove them for piecing together.