Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt as wedding gift? >

Quilt as wedding gift?

Quilt as wedding gift?

Old 06-26-2018, 05:40 AM

Default Quilt as wedding gift?

Do people give quilts as wedding gifts? I have a wedding in August that I have thought of making a quilt as a wedding gift. It has been a long time since I've been to a wedding and not sure what people expect these days.

thanks.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:10 AM

I made a quilt for my niece for her wedding and she seemed appreciative but I got the feeling that it just wasn't her decor to have quilts around. She is a more modern gal. I have made a couple of baby quilts for nieces and nephews but no thank you's or any acknowledgement so I just decided not to make quilts for anyone except immediate family and only if they ask for one. I will be watching this post to see what everyone else says. Lately I have just been giving a check and let them buy what they would like.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:12 AM

Hi,

Yes, quilts are a beautiful and thoughtful gift. Just a suggestion to write a note to include with the gift. Include fabric selection and color choices along with information about the pattern. Relate the quilt to the bride and groom in your note/letter.

It can become one of their most treasured memories.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:13 AM
DJ

I personally think it would make a lovely gift, although it really depends on the recipient. I do like to give a hand made gift and usually give a knit afghan. I've seen discussions about invitations that specify only gifts from the registry. I think that specific reference was for a baby shower.

For one wedding gift I checked the registry and they had a casserole carrier on it, so I made them one instead of purchasing it (well, I had to purchase fabric).

Could you check with the bride or grooms' parents to try to get an idea of how receptive they might be?
Old 06-26-2018, 06:33 AM

I think you should ask the parents of couple if a quilt would be something they would like/appreciate. We have always given a check as a wedding gift. I think maybe the geographical site, small town, large city, etc., might also determine the way to go.....Quilts, as other handmade things are not always appreciated as the giver would want.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:42 AM

I agree with Geri. I think sometimes we make the quilt we would like ourselves. With the last 2 baby quilts I made an effort to find out the theme/color preferences of the recipient and both were overjoyed-they were simple "brick" quilts with a little applique but even the attendees at the shower loved them because they fit the colors/theme. Not like just the some pink and blue that was popular when I had my first child back in the dark ages, as much as I love that.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:50 AM

I've made 2 quilts for wedding gifts. One was made using the bride's wedding colors as I also found out their new bedroom colors were the same. The other one was a last minute wedding gift as the wedding was a spur of a moment. Had this quilt laying around waiting for a purpose so got it quilted and bound just in time to give as a gift.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:09 AM

I have given quilts as Christmas, wedding and for new babies. People seem to appreciate them . I do try to get ideas of color. I have made lap quilts for all the kids at church ( we do have a small church ) and found out what they like or are interested in. The kids love them.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:31 AM

I would check with the couple first, also suggest if they are not a "quilt on the bed" type, maybe a smaller one for the sofa when watching TV.

I have given about 8 full size quilts as wedding presents.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:35 AM

Yes! I gave my niece a quilt for her wedding gift. I asked her mom what her preferences would be (modern, vintage, etc.) and just did what I thought she might like. I don't have a large budget for gifts as such, so what I would give in cash looks small compared to what I give as a quilt with material cost + the time I spend making it.