Quilt as wedding gift? >

Quilt as wedding gift?

Quilt as wedding gift?

Old 04-07-2022, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by toogie View Post
SusieQOH
Power Poster

My BIL's hobby is hunting and he mounts heads all over the house. Not for me but that's his hobby. I'm just glad he never gifted us with one lol

Susie I had to laugh but I feel the same way. My husband has hunted all our married life 53 years but didn’t get a deer head mounted until about 5-10 years ago. He went on a hunting trip with our son to a ranch in Texas our sons friend Jason had. Jason provided lodging and meals, paid their hunting license fee and when my hubby killed his trophy buck, Jason gave our son the cash for my hubby to have it mounted. Oh no!
I reinstated how I felt about any animal on the wall of my house but hubby said he HAD to get it mounted because of Jason. So this is the plan.
My oldest grandson and to be honest other family members have mounts. I told oldest grandson Caleb, if I out live my husband, follow me home from the graveyard and take that deer head off my wall!
toogie, I'm glad I made you chuckle. My husband's family are all hunters but Paul never wanted to and I'm really glad. But they enjoy it and that's all that matters. I have to admit that we cringe every time we go to one of their homes. It's downright creepy! lol
Old 04-10-2022, 02:57 PM

Warning- rant ahead and I'm very crabby.

A cousin is getting married. I'm wishing her nothing but the best. We are not close and I have really only been invited to fill out her side of the church. She's a nice person, but we're just not close.

My mother has decided that I need to make her a wedding quilt. "You make for strangers and charity - why not family?"

Keep in mind, I had tinkered with the idea but decided she just wasn't "quilt worthy". I was going to give a nice picture frame and some cash.

It's just so frustrating to have someone assume you can just "whip something up". Will I do something - probably - just to keep peace in the family. Just crabby about it - not in a loving frame of mind.
Old 04-10-2022, 05:15 PM

I no longer gift anything hand made with the exception of my sweet DIL. No one seems to understand the hours of time and detail that goes into making something hand made. My cousin passed away 2 months ago. Her daughter phoned me just the other day to tell me that she found my quilt in a box in a closet. Never used. I asked her what she would do with it and she said she would just keep it in the box., I told her that it was made to be used and she said that she really had no use for it.

On on the other hand, I could make a pot holder for my sweet DIL and she would use it and cherish it.

So so bottom line is try to know and understand who you are gifting to. JMHO.
Old 04-10-2022, 06:23 PM

Several years ago my only grandchild (a boy) was engaged and I told his fiance that I usually made a quilt for a wedding gift for those in our family - that I was the "family quiltmaker" and asked what colors she might want. She replied - "I don't like that homemade crap" - so no quilt for them and when they had their first baby I made NO quilts for her - just broke my heart.
Old 04-11-2022, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
Several years ago my only grandchild (a boy) was engaged and I told his fiance that I usually made a quilt for a wedding gift for those in our family - that I was the "family quiltmaker" and asked what colors she might want. She replied - "I don't like that homemade crap" - so no quilt for them and when they had their first baby I made NO quilts for her - just broke my heart.
That is so sad, and what an insensitive way for her to put it. Maybe when the grandchild grows up, he or she might want a quilt.
Old 04-11-2022, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
"I don't like that homemade crap" .
Sadly there are a fair number of.people like this. I've gotten tired.of making homemade desserts for family gatherings at my in-laws only to have people say "I think I'd rather have an Oreo"