Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt as wedding gift? >

Quilt as wedding gift?

Quilt as wedding gift?

Old 06-27-2018, 02:50 PM

I would not give a quilt as a wedding gift unless it was someone I knew very well, as in immediate family. Even then I would ask for their opinion, preferences. For me, too much time and money, (and blood, sweat and tears) involved. I like the idea of the picnic quilt, though. Great gift. I enjoy making donation quilts and do use nice fabric and try to do my best work but, somehow not as much emotional investment as for someone I know. We now give money for wedding gifts. Do the registry for shower gifts.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:08 PM

I have given quilts as gifts only to a few. I have not had a chance to give one as a wedding gift. Would have to know them well and that they would appreciate and get some guidance. I would have to know what they like.

I do like the idea of a picnic quilt or something casual, less likely to get feelings hurt if not used.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:07 PM

YES! First I ask if they would like one, then I prepare signature squares for guests to sign,
I send the appropriate pens with the squares with instructions, I draw 1/4 inch line around the square and tell them to sign INSIDE the lines.. yes there are always some that don’t listen.. is a nice keepsake but have only done this for close friends and family! Is a lot of work! Very expensive to do pictures on them too! Just the ink alone..and special fabric sheets! So far all have loved their quilts! Don’t think they would tell me if they didn’t!
Old 06-27-2018, 07:42 PM

I gave 1 to my niece. Checked with my sister-in-law on it & colors. Decided to do a good size throw instead of bed size.
Gifts were opened the morning after the wedding as I was flying home. Sitting in the airport in Denver I received a text from my SIL with a pic of my niece & husband with the quilt. Also did 1 for their son when he was born. Also got a pic then that she loved the top & baby loved the minky back. I think a throw size would be the best if you do make one.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:49 PM

I've only made one quilt for a wedding gift, and it was well received. I would never make a quilt for someone not a family member or a very dear friend. I do think someone who does not know the difference between a "blanket" and a "quilt" is a little bit uninformed! I have made quilts for my sisters, and we're all old enough to remember helping our mother tie quilts when we were about 10-12 years old! My grandmother on my Mom's side of the family made quilts, hand-pieced quilts. We all still have some of the beautiful quilts my grandmother made.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Tudey View Post
I have gifted newlyweds with a picnic basket and picnic quilt on several occasions. I think picnics can be a romantic and inexpensive "date". These have been well received.
I have seen some quilts that roll up like a sleeping bag, with handles so it's easy to carry. I asked the girl if she made it and she said she bought it at Target and loves it.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:55 AM

What a great poem to include!
Awesome idea
Old 06-28-2018, 03:56 AM

That is a wonderful idea!
Old 06-28-2018, 05:03 AM

Thanks for the responses. It has been a while since I went to a wedding which is why I asked the question. I have been quilting for just over a year. I've given quilts to nieces and nephews this past Christmas and a couple of charity quilts. I thought of making a quilt for as a wedding gift when I noticed on the bridal couple had requested two throw blankets on their registry. I just went ahead and asked the bride's mother if she thought her daughter would enjoy a lap quilt and confirmed colors.

I agree with some of your responses, there are people I would definitely not make a quilt project to give as any sort of gift.

As an aside. I was surprised by the responses that I received from my nephews ranging in ages of 8-21 for the quilts I gave them. They all went bonkers. Not what I expected from a bunch of boys.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:29 AM

I make quilts for weddings only if I know the couple wants one and ask about color and decor preferences (traditional, modern etc.) I give it at the shower as a shower/wedding gift combined and only for special people.