Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt as wedding gift? >

Quilt as wedding gift?

Quilt as wedding gift?

Old 06-27-2018, 03:57 AM

Ten years ago I told a good friend that I was going to give her son money for a wedding gift. Her answer was, "That's better than a quilt." I was too shocked to add anything more. So at the reception, guess what? There was an unwraped quilt on the gift table. It made me sad to think someone's work wouldn't be appreciated.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Another idea is a picnic quilt. Pack it in a basket with some inexpensive melamine tableware.
What a great idea!
Old 06-27-2018, 04:32 AM

I think this is a hard call. I like to ask the couple (usually the gal) about colors. I am always happy when I see it used but I don't worry about it. I have had one DIL say she is afraid of it. It goes along with the rest of her attitude. My son loves it even though it resides on the closet shelf. I am a believer that the gift is the choice of the giver rather than the demand of the receiver. I cherish the handmade things I have received over the years-some are tatters,
Old 06-27-2018, 04:35 AM

I am in the process of making one for my grandson's wedding in December. I am using his high school colors (even though he will graduate from college this year) because he and his bride coach at that high school so they will both enjoy the colors. If nothing else, they can stay warm at the ballgames. I am excited about doing this and frightened too because this is only my third quilt.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:38 AM
Power Poster

It takes me a long time to get something made.

If I think the recipients would prefer something other than a quilt - that is what they will get.

I am not in the group that believes in giving (things I consider to be) treasures to the unappreciative.

Yes, I do care about what happens to the quilts I make after they leave my custody. I have a lot of money, time, effort, and thought invested in them.

Yes - I have heard about that what a recipient does with a gift if up to him/her.

I think it is up to me to be aware of what my feelings might be if something I have toiled over will not be appreciated.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Another idea is a picnic quilt. Pack it in a basket with some inexpensive melamine tableware.
That is a good idea!
Old 06-27-2018, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Little Lulu View Post
I am in the process of making one for my grandson's wedding in December. I am using his high school colors (even though he will graduate from college this year) because he and his bride coach at that high school so they will both enjoy the colors. If nothing else, they can stay warm at the ballgames. I am excited about doing this and frightened too because this is only my third quilt.
If they live in a colder area, you might consider using a wool batting. It would be very warm and give a wee bit of protection from snow and possibly rain. I hear that it quilts beautifully but it's more expensive than regular batting.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I made a quilt for my niece for her wedding and she seemed appreciative but I got the feeling that it just wasn't her decor to have quilts around. She is a more modern gal. I have made a couple of baby quilts for nieces and nephews but no thank you's or any acknowledgement so I just decided not to make quilts for anyone except immediate family and only if they ask for one. I will be watching this post to see what everyone else says. Lately I have just been giving a check and let them buy what they would like.
I must be getting old. That no thank you's or acknowledgment just burns my biscuits! I also prefer not to give cash. Yep, I apparently arrived on the Ark. So, for years I have mostly given postage stamps as a wedding gift. Most wedding invitations are still mailed so that need is immediate. This gift is useful, matches everything, never has to be dusted or cleaned, isn't cash, doesn't have to be displayed whenever I may show up, and is always well received. It also is easy to wrap or ship!
Old 06-27-2018, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
I think this is a hard call. I like to ask the couple (usually the gal) about colors. I am always happy when I see it used but I don't worry about it. I have had one DIL say she is afraid of it.
I was wondering about that when the thread started. There is post after post after post here recommending enclosing a card with washing instructions and a couple of color catchers. I've been quilting since dirt was new, but if someone gave me, with all my experience, a quilt with that caveat I'd put it away. I'd be way too scared of ruining it.
Just something to think about from the recipients view point.

When I give a quilt it has already been washed and the only guidance is "treat it like every day clothes, use it and wash it and use it some more.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:28 PM

This thread makes me sad. People who appreciate a quilt should have a quilt made for them. If one is asking if it's a good idea, it is a possibility that it not a good idea. The giver wants to be her efforts to be appreciated and will be hurt if its not. The quilts we make unless a kit are one of a kind, not a dime a dozen. I only make for those who I know like a one of a kind, made with Love.