Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Need Info. on Minnesota Treadle Sewing Machine? >

Need Info. on Minnesota Treadle Sewing Machine?

Need Info. on Minnesota Treadle Sewing Machine?

Old 07-27-2018, 10:05 AM

Default Need Info. on Minnesota Treadle Sewing Machine?

Hi, I know almost nothing about old treadle sewing machines, but I learned to sew on one back in grade school 100 years ago. We didn't have those fancy electric ones back then. No kidding! We even learn to write in ink with the pen nibs... one step beyond quills!

I have a Minnesota treadle one with cabinet and bobbins, etc., but I don't even know how to thread it or anything else about it.

Do you know anything about it? Is it worth keeping or do you know who would want it? I don't plan to use it for any sewing at all, so I don't really need to know how to thread it or use it.

I'd appreciate any help!
Old 07-27-2018, 10:48 AM

The Minnesota was a machine sold through the mail order of Sears & Roebuck. The Minni, however, had many different suppliers and came in different models (A through K). Some were made by Standard Manufacturing of Cleveland, others by Domestic of Buffalo, and still others by Davis.

For awhile now, treadle machines have not been very easy to sell. I've seen them taken apart to sell better. (cringe) Drawers for 35 dollars each and ironworks for 50 or more when a complete machine and cabinet can't bring a hundred. But this is changing. At least it's changing where I live.

There seems to be a bit of a movement by some of today's youth as they seek out and find alternative energy machines. A pre-existing treadle doesn't need gas or electricity. It doesn't cost anything to operate - and it's already been made, so resources do not need to be spent making a new one. If needles and bobbins can still be found for your machine and if it sews... then your chances of selling it are doing better now than in the last ten years. But I would advertise it that way: I'd come out and say it won't 'add to your personal carbon footprint' - and that it's healthier for the environment and etc. I mean why not? The person looking for one just because of those reasons might read it, and that's the perfect match: a person that's going to use it to sew.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:33 PM

Thank you so much for your help. I don't have any idea if it sews, but I'll fiddle with it and try to see what I can do. I like the cabinet. I'm using it as an end table and if its not in working condition, I'll still keep it until I have to move into an assisted living place. At very worse, I'll donate it ... maybe it can be used in the mission field somewhere that doesn't have electricity. If it does work, I'll look into advertising it as the suggest to someone who wants to sew without using resources. Again, thanks!
Old 07-27-2018, 06:02 PM

Very good advice. Most of them will sew great with a bit of love and elbow grease.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:40 AM

Bonnie Hunter is gathering donated things for the Quiltville Inn (to open --hopefully-- in 2020, I think). You might contact her through her website at [email protected] Since you are located in NC, this is a possibility for relocating your treadle machine and any other usable (to her) items.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:56 AM

Thanks, DebbieJJ. I'll check on it.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:32 AM

Good luck SillySusan, wish I was closer to you, I'd love to have it, myself!
Old 07-28-2018, 05:06 AM

I'm middle age, and just bought a treadle machine to use. And I enjoy using it, I don't know if it's the quiet, or getting away from the hustle and bustle of the time we live in, but I find it relaxing. My husband can't figure me out, I have a Bernina 770 also, but I've put more stitches on the treadle than the Bernina in the last month.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:29 PM

I bought my first treadle when I was in my early 20s for pretty close to those reasons! Plus I preferred mech to tech. I still have never owned a computerized sewing machine.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:37 PM

Oh, yeah, I love mechanicals. I had a computerized Viking that broke down in about 4 years and no repair people would touch it. They all said it wouldn't be worth fixing. I got an inexpensive heavy duty Singer mechanical that I love dearly!!