Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it Me? and Batting Prices >

Is it Me? and Batting Prices

Is it Me? and Batting Prices

Old 08-05-2018, 06:48 AM

Default Is it Me? and Batting Prices

Is it me or has cotton and cotton blend batting really taken a jump in price over the last several months? I expect an increase, but not a 40% or more increase in a 6 month time. It really has taken a jump since the beginning of the summer. Could it be the trade war/tariffs?

All I know is our quilt group uses a cotton blend for our charity quilts(except for world relief) and if the price keeps going up, we may need to switch to polyester batting just to be better stewards with our limited funds. We only have a certain amt. of funds to use on batting per year.

Why do you think the price has seen a significant jump--supply and demand or trade and tariffs? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

I ordered 2 Hobbs fusible from Amazon for about $30 each a couple of months ago. Went back to look at the price later and it had doubled!
Old 08-05-2018, 08:43 AM

I haven't bought batting in awhile (I bought a roll last year and then scored another roll on clearance for next to nothing) but in the last few months the prices of everything are going up like crazy! Especially food, eggs and milk have been going up so much! We've been cutting back as much as we can.

I love Amazon and I shop on there all the time but I've noticed if I put something in my wish list or save it in my cart for later the prices keep going up. I used to go straight to Amazon but I shop around more online now to make sure I'm getting the best price.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

Right now Craftsy is having a good sale on W & N
Old 08-05-2018, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

I haven't noticed any price change on Warm and Natural by the bolt at Walmart I use for most of my made to be used anyway you want quilts. I bought two bolts Saturday. One natural and one white. I'm glad I went ahead and bought it if the prices are going up. I have a stock pile of Hobbs Tuscany wool and silk I bought when it was on sale for 50% off a a few years ago. I still have about 10 king size packages left. The packages squish down to stay in a bin out of site until I need one. I shouldn't have to have any batting for a long time possibly a few years. LOL
Old 08-05-2018, 09:14 AM

I just have to look for sales...regular pricing on fabric and batting is just too high for my charitable quilts. Keep on the look-out and you can stretch your dollars.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:46 AM

I hear ya! Its dangerous out there buying batting

I have learned to "stalk" Amazon. I put something in my cart and then "save for later" - and watch the prices change. I have seen some unbelievable price swings.

Of course sometimes I have buyers remorse for not grabbing it the right time.

Warm and Natural by the roll - 90" x 40 yards at one time was $189 for a roll. I knew it was a good price but I didn't buy it. Today the same roll is $292. I am kicking myself.

On the other hand I also love the warm and plush. In July I bought a roll for $119 (90" x 25 yards) today the same roll is $225 - I did good on that one

you just have to watch.. and sometimes there are good coupons for some stores
Old 08-05-2018, 11:49 AM

Well, we have been purchasing Pellon 80/20 by 30 yd rolls from WM and their answer to Amazon, Jet. Prices were actually down last December. We purchased a great deal of Toasty Cotton in April/May of this year. It's now up 200% in price. But most of the blends or cotton rolls are up 30-40% in just a few months. I can't help think it has something to do with the trade wars, but I could be wrong---it just seems to be too coincidental to have it jump so much in such a short amt. of time.

Before, a roll might go up or down by about $5 a roll. Now, the price jump is anywhere from$30-40 a roll. Now, that "only" is about a $1 increase per yard some might say, but in the scheme of things, that extra $1 yd adds up in a hurry and eats away at your allotted funds for the year. Just a tad discouraging to say the least.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:08 PM

I just got a pretty good deal on a roll of Hobbs 80/20 from Amazon - it shipped from Accomplish Quilting in Michigan.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond View Post
I just got a pretty good deal on a roll of Hobbs 80/20 from Amazon - it shipped from Accomplish Quilting in Michigan.
Do yu by chance have the link of where I can find it on Amazon? Thanks.