Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Just Registered Today! >

Just Registered Today!

Just Registered Today!

Old 08-16-2018, 07:53 AM

Default Just Registered Today!

Hi, I'm Caroline from Near Seattle (Renton for those who know).

Somehow I've missed seeing this board before but way back around Y2K I used to be very active on Sewing World and the Ask quilting communities. I've recently had some changes in my life and was looking for another quilting home -- so here I am!

I don't come from a family tradition of quilting but decided when I was a senior in High School that I wanted to quilt. That was in 1978, before the rotary revolution and to be honest, the little old quilting ladies (that I've since become!) intimidated me so am self taught. Hard to believe that 40 years and hundreds of quilts have been done since that first one.

Mostly I work in scrap quilts, sometimes I do a "planned" quilt with fewer fabrics but why use 6 when I can use 60?? A lot of what I do is "contemporary adaptations of traditional patterns" but I have designed some of my own. Pretty much everything I do is bed sized, mostly queen sized but I have a lot of fun with baby quilts.

Alas, I have a deteriorating vision condition and have been trying to adjust to the idea that my best work is behind me so I strive for "simple but effective" and some of the newer techniques that aren't as fussy, I see a lot of string quilts and jelly roll race variations and such in my future.

I have a wonderful hubby who I met playing a game on the internet back in February 2001 (yes, I remember our first meeting). This October will be our 14th legal wedding anniversary. I have a 30 year old son from a previous relationship who just got married this past June. I am very fortunate as I love my Daughter in Law and my Mother in Law both. We have a variety of pets, currently 2 dogs, 1 cat, 1 bearded dragon, 1 leopard gecko, 1 sonoran gopher snake, and a rosy tarantula. I don't interact much with the cold blooded pets...
Old 08-16-2018, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
Old 08-16-2018, 08:56 AM

Howdy from Texas. It sounds like you will be able to bring a lot of knowledge & insight to this quilting board. We love pictures and would really like to see some of your finished quilts. Welcome & have fun with this group of quilters.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:25 AM

welcome home Caroline, we have a lot in common
Old 08-16-2018, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. I just learned this week that the blue light emitted from iPads and phones may cause eye damage. Great, another thing to worry about!
Old 08-16-2018, 10:02 AM

Hi! Welcome from Minneapolis - I see that you're already exploring the other topics on this website. Good for you! We'd love to see your projects.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:07 AM

My eye doctor is very much against blue light and has been for years. There are things you can do other than simply limiting exposure. I also have insomnia -- another anti-blue light group. Just met with a new sleep doctor a week or so ago and she recommended the f.lux software for my computer but I haven't really looked into it. She also wanted me to get yellow lenses for when I watch tv before bed -- have ordered from Amazon but they haven't come yet. Yes, colors will be altered. I went with the well reviewed cheap and ugly version.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:53 PM

Hi and welcome from North Carolina! You've come to the right place. We have bunches of very helpful folks on all subjects. And, we have fun also.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:57 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from Oklahoma. Glad to have you here. Be sure to show us some pictures.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:32 PM

Welcome from South Louisiana.