Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jelly Roll Rug/Jelly Roll Rug 2 Pattern questions >

Jelly Roll Rug/Jelly Roll Rug 2 Pattern questions

Jelly Roll Rug/Jelly Roll Rug 2 Pattern questions

Old 08-16-2018, 02:11 PM

Default Jelly Roll Rug/Jelly Roll Rug 2 Pattern questions

Has anyone made these rugs? Do they take 20 j roll strips or 40? I have a 20 strip roll that I love and need to know if I will have to add to it or not.

Also, what did you use for batting? I've seen "regular" batting strips and "Bosal" foam??? strips. I have seen some beautiful rugs here on QB, so I know some of you have made them.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-16-2018 at 02:38 PM. Reason: PM
Old 08-16-2018, 02:34 PM

I recently got the pattern but haven't made it yet. If you spend a few minutes Googling these patterns, you will see that some of the websites that have them for sale also include supply lists. Jelly roll is usually 42 strips so if you have a junior size you will have to add to it. I think regular batting will work better. I do remember seeing somewhere, maybe Etsy, to have at least 1200 yds. of thread. There is an official jelly roll rug video on YouTube sanctioned by the pattern creator, Roma. Check it out.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

Anita, I just made one and it used around 40 strips. I also used that Bosal (?) strip batting but you could cut your own batting strips if you wanted to.
It was much easier than I anticipated. Mine is rectangular and just the 2 short ends had to be bound.
I bought the pattern I think on Etsy.

PS- that Bosal stuff is batting, just in strips
Old 08-16-2018, 03:53 PM

Thanks for the answers!
Old 08-16-2018, 04:55 PM

I'm in the process of making rugs this way out of upholstery fabric. I've had samples sitting around for years and thought a long time ago I'd make rugs out of them. So far so good. I've cut strips of fabric and using batting that I no longer like in my quilts. It took some time to cut everything but it's all working.

You could use the small roll of 20 strips. It would just make a smaller rug. It's been fun. Just take your time and go slow with it.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:35 PM

The Bosal comes in both foam for handbags and batting strips for the rugs. With regard to number of strips it depends on the diameter size of the rug your looking to make. Obviously 40 strips makes a larger version and now there's a new one that's rectangular. You can find many videos on YouTube to help you with the process including Jordan Fabrics. Good luck with your rug.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:03 AM

I have the pattern and the batting, I just can't seem to find a jelly roll that I like so may just cut 42 or so strips from something in my stash. But I digress.....while looking at you tube for some ideas on the rugs, I came across a video from Aunties Two about a Twenty Strip Tote. I had to have that pattern as it uses the same idea as the rugs only you use 20 strips and make a handbag/tote! Here is one of the three videos about that tote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stR8MCvHr44
Old 08-17-2018, 01:49 AM
Power Poster

[h=1]The batting strips used are Katahdin On-A-Roll[/h][h=1] https://www.fatquartershop.com/katah...cotton-batting [/h] I don't know why it's organic cotton. Seems silly for a rug.
You can cut your batting strips but it's time consuming. The tedious part for me was making the strips.. Be sure and keep your jelly roll strips in order. How they are rolled up makes a pleasing rug as the colors are separated for you.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:58 AM
Power Poster

You could use yardage for this. I used a jellyroll but I have a bunch. But yardage would be fine.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:03 AM

I made a rug using a bunch of strips of binding I had left over. I cut my binding 2 1/4" so I cut the batting just a bit smaller. Turned out great.