Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
New to me Pfaff1221 in cabinet >

New to me Pfaff1221 in cabinet

New to me Pfaff1221 in cabinet

Old 09-03-2018, 11:37 AM

Default New to me Pfaff1221 in cabinet

Just got this off Kijiji. I bought it sight unseen because it looked nice and clean in the pictures. And indeed it is; looks like it has never been used.

There are no attachments other than a foot on the machine. However there was a box of random ones which are low shank - looks like they'll fit FWs and other early Singers.
And assorted screwdrivers. And some big machine needles - never heard of that size before.
Not sure what the cord is for but it's in good shape.

Unfortunately the seller ran it threaded to show my brother who did the pick up that it worked. Now the bobbin case is stuck in the machine and it is not very accessible. I've drizzled on some sewing machine oil and after about an hour, while I was searching online for information on fixing the machine and the attachments, it at least wiggles. So I've left it for another bit. (The pictures show the paper towels I've put under the bobbin area to catch drips.)

And the cabinet is very clean too. Dated but big drawers and even thread racks.
Attached Thumbnails 20180903_151008.jpg   20180903_151213.jpg   20180903_151233.jpg   20180903_151037.jpg   20180903_151438.jpg  

20180903_151313.jpg  

Last edited by SuzzyQ; 09-03-2018 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:15 AM

nice score. It is newer than my Pfaffs. Could you take more pics of the slide/bobbin area? Check with a good light and tweezers for stray threads. rock the handwheel as you tug on stuck ones.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
nice score. It is newer than my Pfaffs. Could you take more pics of the slide/bobbin area? Check with a good light and tweezers for stray threads. rock the handwheel as you tug on stuck ones.
I'd thought it was a thread jam too. But the bobbin thread pulls freely. I think the seller left the bobbin case and bobbin in and it may have rusted in place; although the area doesn't look rusted. I'm giving it more oil and time before I start poking around.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:55 AM

with the rest of it looking so good, I doubt you will find rust. Be gentle on everything you touch.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:13 PM
Power Poster

The worst stuck up machine not rusted I’ve had to fool with was a PFFAF. I oiled it and turned it faithfully for months. It was just under my bench. Finally one day I had it upside down or sideways and tried to turn it. Oh my suddenly it moved and a broken needle tip fell out of somewhere. It could be a thread jammed in there, too.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
The worst stuck up machine not rusted I’ve had to fool with was a PFFAF. I oiled it and turned it faithfully for months. It was just under my bench. Finally one day I had it upside down or sideways and tried to turn it. Oh my suddenly it moved and a broken needle tip fell out of somewhere. It could be a thread jammed in there, too.
Hmmm... my brother had it laid down to transport it. Wonder if it needs another jiggle to loosen something up? Machine gymnastics coming up!
Old 09-05-2018, 03:59 AM
Power Poster

If it is a thread no amount of moving it around will get it out. I’m thinking the needle in mine was stuck pretty fast. A big hint should be a broken needle in the shaft. It never occurred to me to always check that on any machine stuck or not. Usually I take apart the bobbin carrier. I don’t know if I did that or not. The needle still could be stuck behind all that. Thread can be wrapped around almost anywhere. I will say the PFFAF I had turned really sweet once it had all that oil on it. Sews through about anything.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:54 AM

You're right about the feets... some do belong to older Singer machines and the screw driver with orange handle did go to FWs...as well as the he bobbins
Enjoy your pfaff soon as you get bobbin unstuck!
Old 09-05-2018, 05:10 AM

You can still pull bobbin thread even though the hook shaft is stuck. That doesn't explain not being able to remove the bobbin case. The latch needs to be completely open. These tolerances are much closer than the typical old Singer.

Now remove the back part of the cover and the feed dogs for a better view.

Feed dog lever positions- there are 3. Totally up is the bobbin clutch. Nothing else turns in this position. Return to horizontal. Now try to spin handwheel.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by nwm50 View Post
You're right about the feets... some do belong to older Singer machines and the screw driver with orange handle did go to FWs...as well as the he bobbins
Enjoy your pfaff soon as you get bobbin unstuck!
The bobbins are not FW bobbins and the red screwdriver could've come with anything. I have several Japanese machines that came with red handled screwdrivers.

Cari