Singer 401A

Old 08-31-2018, 04:03 PM

Default Singer 401A

I stopped today by our "Stepping Stones" 2nd hand store. Of course I was looking for something else But I saw a Singer 401A in a cabinet with 3 drawers. It had 4 cams some bobbins, book and other items. Super clean machine and the cabinet a dark brown had some use to it.
Another shopper and I were looking at it, she doesn't have room for it but is an avid sewer. So we inquired about the price as it was not marked. The helper said it was either $75 or $65. I commented it was too much. They price the machines at 1/3 of its original sale price, which I don't know where they get that figure,

I was very keen on it as it has the repair/servicing sticker from my local guy that I trust.

The other woman looked on Ebay to see what they are selling for and they are going from $25 to $199.
I hesitate to get it as the foot control has that 2 button foot pedal that hurts my feet from being tromped by horses when I was younger.

Should I go get it or leave it alone?
Old 08-31-2018, 05:22 PM
Banned

If it makes your heart go pitter patter and you'll use it then by all means get it. It takes 5 minutes to change the controller to a new one.
i don't care for these machines but I always picked them up when I found them cheap and flipped them.

Cari
Old 08-31-2018, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
If it makes your heart go pitter patter and you'll use it then by all means get it. It takes 5 minutes to change the controller to a new one.
i don't care for these machines but I always picked them up when I found them cheap and flipped them.

Cari
Cari why don't you care for them? Just curious.
No my heart doesn't go pitter patter. I just thought now, it would be a want, instead of a need. So I will let her go to another home.
Thank you for the time to reply.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:02 AM

You can always have someone change out the foot peddle to one that is more comfortable for you. If it's what you want I'd go back to get it...if it's not already sold.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:06 AM

I love mine! Bought new in 1958; never in hospital. Sewed everything on it. Still have it to use for mending.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:14 AM

I still have the one I purchased in 1959. It is a wonderful machine and I would not part with it. I do have other machines now that I use more often. None have a more beautiful stitch than my 401A.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:56 AM

You all are so bad> I am trying to reist another one close by and cheap.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Not my thing either. I'm not real keen on the styling, kinda cycloptic and those stitch controls are one of a kind. Yet they are still a machine that has retained some value. I wouldn't be a buyer at 75 or 65. I've had three, and they re-sell quickly, but I still prefer the 403a.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:07 AM
Banned

I don't like machines that are futzy, that you have to have the manual in front of you to use it even after you've had it for some time. Pull that knob, turn this one, pull that lever, just to change one setting. It's also the reason my beloved Brother Selectomatics don't get more use.

Cari
Old 09-01-2018, 12:50 PM

I can't remember the 401 as that difficult at all, especially the basic stitches or primary patterns? The stitch chart is just under the cam lid. I may have to get a 401 to refresh my memory. The combo settings are more cumbersome, but most of those are very odd patterns, not basic utilitarian. The straight forward cam function isn't difficult either?

Easy settings and functions matter though, that's probably why my Berinina 730 is a favorite, as well as the 900 Nova. You can't really get it wrong what ever you do. Cams on the Elna Supermatic is easy too.