Industrial or not?

Old 09-06-2018, 06:45 AM

Default Industrial or not?

Often when I read ads for VSM machines they are labeled industrial simply because they are big and heavy. Most of us here know that there is a great deal of difference between the machines. I took a pic of a .6 amp Singer motor for a home machine on top of an industrial motor. Thought you might like it and it might help rookies.[ATTACH=CONFIG]600600[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails industrial-domestic-vsm-motors-b.jpg  
Old 09-07-2018, 04:30 AM

Thanks Leona. This rookie appreciates learning more.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:48 AM

Worth 10,000 words.
Old 09-07-2018, 05:24 PM

Glad you enjoyed it.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:58 PM

Great comparison!
Old 09-09-2018, 01:37 PM

I had a guy tell me he was going to buy me an "industrial" machine. He wanted to save money and thought buying me an 'industrial" machine meant I'd sew isinglass windows for his boats and it would be cheaper that having a marine place do them. I just shook my head and said, "Please don't". One: I don't want to do all his sewing. He flips boats. and Two: show me the machine you saw on craigslist... no, it's not industrial. Its domestic. It was an old singer from the 50's listed as a 'heavy industrial machine'. Yeah. Great pic. Puts it in perspective.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:46 PM

My question is can you replace an industrial coffee can motor for the smaller domestic motor? The reason I'm asking is that I'm dreaming of getting a Singer 31-15 and installing a smaller motor, then putting the machine on a quilting frame for a midarm quilting set up. Just an idea.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:11 PM

Interesting question. I would bet the domestic motor would turn my 31-20. It would lose speed and punch. Motor mounts and a belt would have to be custom made. A bigger question might be would the quilting frame support the increased weight. I've only picked up a long arm once, so I don't know what they weigh. If you are serious about this I'd loan you the 31-20
Old 09-09-2018, 05:25 PM

NZ quilter. pics are here...Singer 31-20 Industrial
Old 09-10-2018, 04:18 AM

Thanks for the link, Leon. Every bit of information is useful. I find it interesting how you mentioned that you found it didn't run as fast as you were expecting, but still faster than you will probably need. Maybe I won't need to replace the motor... FMQ does go pretty fast once you get in the groove. All food for thought.

I think the frame setup, which we will probably build ourselves, will be able to hold it all.

What really sparked an interest in using one as a midarm quilter was this link. http://busyhandsquilts.blogspot.com/...g-machine.html . The woman here said (at a much later date in her blog) that she successfully used this set up for 6 years. I figure if it was used happily for that long I will probably be okay with it too. Unlike the people who try their 201s and 15-91s on frames and then give up after a few quilts.

I'm not ready to try it yet. We are intending to build a 30ft + extension on the back of the double car shed one day, (after the kitchen remodel and the brand new electrical overhaul through the whole house, and all new windows... ) I have already told my DH that part of that shed extension is for a long arm set up . So far he seems cool with it. The other half of the shed will be for his car restorations...

Who knows, maybe by the time I'm ready and have the space, a sweet deal on a true longarm will fall into my lap.

Sorry for the rambling post. I woke up super early this morning to get DH safely and happily out the door early for work and I guess I haven't had enough coffee yet to compensate it!