Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Glue Stick & Freezer Paper Applique Tips Needed (and appreciated!!) >

Glue Stick & Freezer Paper Applique Tips Needed (and appreciated!!)

Glue Stick & Freezer Paper Applique Tips Needed (and appreciated!!)

Old 10-02-2018, 07:33 AM

Default Glue Stick & Freezer Paper Applique Tips Needed (and appreciated!!)

I am new to quilting and have always loved applique quilts, so that's where I'm jumping in! I have tried several methods to create the applique pieces so far, because I wanted to see from the beginning which of the techniques I would enjoy the best. I plan to hand sew the applique pieces in place.

My latest try is glue stick and freezer paper, and I must admit I Love the ease in which I can get a truly well defined edge to the applique fabric, and that it will "stay put" as long as needed. Well, I tried to eliminate having to remove the freezer paper from the back of the sewed down applique by removing the freezer paper Before it was sewed down. I then re-ironed the applique pattern, but when I did that I accidentally ironed in some tiny points where they didn't belong. When I tried to correct this, I wound up distorting the initial shape even more.

Since I am a complete novice, the quilts I hope to make will be functional and washed in a regular washing machine. I am not concerned with the "bulk" that having an extra layer of fabric on top of the background material will cause. I am concerned about material fraying in the wash, which is why I was trying to avoid cutting into the background fabric.

So, after a way too long intro, I hope a more experienced quilter can give me some points on what has worked for you (or not worked for you!) I truly appreciate each response!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-02-2018 at 07:43 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 10-02-2018, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

Some people will iron the seam allowance on/around the back of the freezer paper - and then remove the freezer paper before sewing the applique piece on to the background.

I think it might be called the "starch the seam allowances in place" method. (That propbably is not the correct name for the method - but it is fairly descriptive.)
Old 10-02-2018, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

You may prefer to use a leave in applique foundation product instead of freezer paper. No need to remove it. Appliquick makes one:
https://www.kathymcneilquilts.com/sh...-x24905304.htm

As does Sharon Schambers
https://purpledaisiesquilting.com/co...n-5-yds-reg-wt

You leave these products in and they wash up soft. I suspect there are others on the market but these are the two I know about.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

The appliquick way is on YouTube, you might pick up some pointers there. I usually cut my shape from freezer paper and use a little paint brush to put Best Press on the seam allowance and iron the seam allowance over the freezer paper. Once my shape is ironed, I remove the freezer paper and hand stitch it down.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:40 PM
Power Poster

I also use the method Tartan uses, except I don’t use (Best Press) I use my regular niagra starch. The starch keeps the edges smooth, correct. I remove the paper & stitch down.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:05 PM

Here's a series of posts and videos that show how I like to do it.

http://erinrussek.typepad.com/one-pi...lique-lessons/

I started out with the freezer paper, but didn't like how the paper would get soggy, or lose its shape after several uses. So I switched to using Templar, which is awesome.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:30 PM

Despite the leave in stablizer (that Feline Fanatic described) being a little pricey (but a little goes a long way) I prefer that. I draw the reverse design with scant 1/4" seam allowance added on the stablizer, cut my fabric and use a wash-out school glue stick to turn the edges. Then just sew down with small stitches. The stablizer basically softens into nothing when washed. I don't cut out the background fabric on small applique shapes, only if a very large shape. I have not noticed it being a problem to leave in the background when long arm quilting it. If you were doing a fused applique you leave in background and add a stiff adhesive.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

I do machine applique with freezer paper, but use the following instead of freezer paper when I don't want to remove the backing fabric:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is thicker than freezer paper, making the applique just slightly puffy, but basically the bonding that holds the fibers together disintegrates in the wash so you have just a few extra fibers within the applique. I like it better than the other wash-away applique foundations I have tried because it is easier to get a crisp edge with glue. I found Sharon Schamber's wash-away applique foundations too soft, as are all the other brands I have tried. It also has the added benefit of being fusible on one side. I could never use the Appliquick tools; I am way too clumsy!

It is pricey but, at my age, ease of use takes priority over cost. I do not bother to use it in large appliques, however. Mostly I use it to save time on smaller appliques. With large appliques, I have never found fraying to be an issue even with the backing cut away, as the edges are still encased in batting and backing. Assuming the quilting is reasonably close together (say, 4" apart or closer), there really is not a high probability of fraying. My guess is that there is a higher probability that your hand applique stitches would come apart from the agitation in the laundry.

Edit: I should add that on large applique shapes, when I cut the backing away, I typically leave as large a seam as possible -- usually 1/2" minimum. This provides insurance against fraying.

Last edited by Prism99; 10-03-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:54 PM

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply! It is truly generous of everyone to share their hard won expertise with a total stranger! I am so blessed to have found this Board as I am just starting out!
Old 10-04-2018, 02:55 AM

I use freezer paper to hand applique onto my background all the time. I usually hand baste the seam allowance all the way around the freezer paper shape and never iron it down. Then I hand applique the piece, stopping about an inch before the end. At that point, I remove the hand basting and finger press the seam allowance before removing the paper. It may sound like a lot of work, but it works for me and the basting goes quickly. I have found that this method allows me to avoid those little points because I can use my needle (I use straw needles to hand applique) to push small bits of seam allowance smoothly along the edge. This method also allows me to re-use my freezer paper shapes several times. Enjoy and use whatever method works for you!