Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please Advise-want to buy Longarm >

Please Advise-want to buy Longarm

Please Advise-want to buy Longarm

Old 10-07-2018, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by indycat32 View Post
Buy big. I bought the HQ Simply 16 on a 10 foot frame a few months ago and I already regret not going bigger.
I also purchased the Simply 16 and after just 1.5 years I upgraded to the Amara. I am much happier with the size and features. My frame is 10’ in a room that is 10’6”. I am thrilled to have a longarm even if I don’t have the recommended space on all sides. It works for me! Good luck!
Old 10-07-2018, 06:18 AM

I bought a smaller LA thinking I might trade up after a while. I have become attached to it and may skip the trade up altogether if this smaller machine keeps working like it has been.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:39 AM

There is a learning curve. Just do it once.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by lyric girl View Post
Buy the biggest throat you can afford. When I bought mine I went straight to 24" because I didn't want to buy more than one longarm.
Yes, I agree. I bought a 26” machine and have never been sorry. I know a lot of ladies that have bought smaller throats and have sold/traded them for a larger machine after awhile. Think about what you want on the machine and get it with the machine. It is cheaper to get it all at the same time than it is to add on later.

One thing I bought with my machine was a (high) chair. I am so glad now that I have it because I am able to sit when I am quilting in the same area for awhile. (I have a “stand up” free motion machine on a frame).
Old 10-07-2018, 03:03 PM

I have Handi Quilter 16 , we moved I sold it got a A-1 Hated it you have to use a grease gun . have it for 4 years
it would not sew half the time , had bit stitches . I was always tearing out I have a Fusion now love it . So I think
you might like Avante , Fusion and they have some new one now. If you can go test drive one see what you like .
Good Luck....
Old 10-07-2018, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by lilli480 View Post
I also purchased the Simply 16 and after just 1.5 years I upgraded to the Amara. I am much happier with the size and features. My frame is 10’ in a room that is 10’6”. I am thrilled to have a longarm even if I don’t have the recommended space on all sides. It works for me! Good luck!
I don't have a longarm but have been studying the possibility for a long time, including watching people on youtube, and I can't begin to imagine how you can attach your quilt without being able to get around to all sides easily! Is it diagonal across the room?

I have room for one. All I'd have to do is unload a treadmill that we never use and rearrange some other things, but one issue I would have is that it's an upstairs bonus area in our house and has no doors - just open to the stairs. I have young grandchildren and pets that might get into a bad situation. Cats, for example, eat thread and it can kill them. Also, I'm 20 years older than greenirish43, and maybe I'd get only 30 years of use out of it, or so. Still considering.

There's someone in the neighborhood who would let me use her Gammill for a penny a square inch. I could quilt a whole lot of quilts without spending anywhere near the price of a machine of my own, and the fact that it's a designated project at a designated time and place would keep me from procrastinating. Her price includes the setting up, so I wouldn't even have to learn how to do that. I think I have convinced myself I'd rather spend money on more fabric. Still, every time the subject comes up I think, "Wouldn't it be awesome to have one of those!"
Old 10-08-2018, 05:05 AM
Power Poster

Rose P. Yes those are valid considerations. Little kids love to press buttons and a quilt loaded onto a longarm rack attracts cats to lounge on the "hammock" created, they love it more than catnip! Mine is in a back bedroom I keep closed off. One time I came out of the room to use the bathroom and didn't shut the door behind me. In less than a secnd one of my Maine Coon cats was in there and sprawled out on the quilt like he was king of the castle. LOL. Thankfully it was one of my quilts and no harm no foul (lucky considering he is close to 20lb!). He was unceremoniously removed from his new lounge and I am diligent about shutting the door now but I still get the occasional breach of security. Something about cats and a room they are not allowed into makes it that much more enticing to them.

I too am curious as to how lili480 manages to get to the back of her setup with only 6" of space. Crawls under the rack maybe?? Where there's a will there's a way. I only have about 18" on one side to get to the back. So far there have been no issues but it is a narrow space. And I do crawl underneath my quilt to check the backing occasionally.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:56 AM

I would purchase the biggest throat that will fit into the space. I would love to have a 24" throat but the Avante was the largest that would fit. I put the extra $ into a Pro-Stitcher - I do not regret it one bit.

One last comment - If you can, purchase one that has a competent local dealer near by for service. Good luck in your search.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:41 AM

Post quilting machine for sale

I notice you are in Middle TN. My friend who is elderly and can't quilt anymore is looking to sell her machine and lives in Middle TN.
can you private message me and I'll give you her number
Old 10-08-2018, 09:43 AM

I don't have a longarm but have been studying the possibility for a long time, including watching people on youtube, and I can't begin to imagine how you can attach your quilt without being able to get around to all sides easily! Is it diagonal across the room?
----------------------------------------------
All the loading is done from the front of the machine. I can't get behind mine. I would have to get back there to do pantos but I do not like doing them.