Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hanging a quilt...advice >

Hanging a quilt...advice

Hanging a quilt...advice

Old 10-10-2018, 01:55 AM

Default Hanging a quilt...advice

I have a 50" x 50" quilt I would like to hang on a wall. I've checked out the you tubes for making a sleeve but was wondering if there are any tips anyone can give me to help make it a success? I'm yet to bind this quilt and wonder if I should be approaching the binding method in a different way to get a nice flat binded edge? Should I press the quilt before hanging? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:31 AM

My favorite way to hang a quilt at home is to put a sleeve on the back at the top and the bottom. Binding is done the usual way and the sleeves don't interfere with the bindings. I then use cafe curtain rods. The brackets only stick out about and inch from the wall. I hang it using a small rod with finials sticking out on the sides. Then I hang a second rod in the bottom sleeve with the finials sticking out on the bottom. But the bottom isn't attached to the wall and is lightweight enough to hang and pull the quilt down and straight. Pressing is not necessary. The bottom rod hold it straight.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:34 AM

Thanks Toverly.......I hadn't thought about using a bottom sleeve and rod to give some weight to the quilt. I'll definately do that. Most appreciated.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:07 AM

I always just staple my quilts to the walls, all four sides in the binding seam. The staples make the smallest of holes in the wall (you can barely notice) and I don't have to add sleeves. You can flatten out the wall hanging and it staple down to lie flat. Good luck with whatever method you use.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:14 AM

I use command strips along the top for a quit this size. If the bottom and/or sides need control I use poster putty rolled into small balls to adhere to the wall. Works for me and NO HOLES.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:08 AM

I cut a piece of lathe (which is ¼ " x 1 ½ " approx) to the width of the quilt. Find the centre and measure and drill holes, out 7 ½ " each way so that I always have 15" between the two nail holes. (then different wall hangings can be hung from the same two nails) Mark on the wall where you want the holes to be and hammer in two nails. I make a three part sleeve and hand sew it to the back of the quilt. Insert the lathe piece into the sleeve and slip the two holes onto the nails. It hangs very flat to the wall.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:16 AM

Binding: Do not iron the binding in half lengthwise before attaching it to the quilt. That is my best advice.

Hanging sleeve: Make sure your sleeve sits on the quilt in the shape of a D. The flat part of the D is up against the back of the quilt, and the rest of the sleeve should not sit flat against the quilt. That way when you hang it, the quilt will hang nice and smooth, and won't bulge out in front of the hanging rod.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:50 AM

Thankyou everyone.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltlove View Post
I use command strips along the top for a quit this size. If the bottom and/or sides need control I use poster putty rolled into small balls to adhere to the wall. Works for me and NO HOLES.
The two times I used command strips, they took the paint off the wall. You can easily add a sleeve and sew if down as you machine sew the binding to that side of the quilt, then either whip stitch or safety pin the bottom of the sleeve. I sometimes also add a bottom sleeve if the quilt it not lying flat
Old 10-10-2018, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
My favorite way to hang a quilt at home is to put a sleeve on the back at the top and the bottom. Binding is done the usual way and the sleeves don't interfere with the bindings. I then use cafe curtain rods. The brackets only stick out about and inch from the wall. I hang it using a small rod with finials sticking out on the sides. Then I hang a second rod in the bottom sleeve with the finials sticking out on the bottom. But the bottom isn't attached to the wall and is lightweight enough to hang and pull the quilt down and straight. Pressing is not necessary. The bottom rod hold it straight.
That's a great idea about the second sleeve and rod. I never thought to do that to make the quilt hang straight.