Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kind of tracing pen/pencil to use with a light box? >

What kind of tracing pen/pencil to use with a light box?

What kind of tracing pen/pencil to use with a light box?

Old 10-13-2018, 04:59 PM

Default What kind of tracing pen/pencil to use with a light box?

Hi - I bought a quilt kit and light box two years ago and am finally! getting ready to work on it. I'm having a very hard time finding the right kind of pen or pencil to use for tracing the pattern onto the fabric. Any suggestions? The fabric is various shades of aged muslin fabric - light to dark.

Here's a link to the pattern
https://www.primitivequiltcellar.com...Pattern.html#/

Thanks

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-13-2018 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:06 PM
Power Poster

What a cute project. I love the primitive embroidery patterns. I like the blue water soluble markers like Dritz Mark Be Gone or the Clover one (Walmart carries it). You can also use Crayola ultra clean washable markers in the fine point. I have really good luck with those and they wash out even if you iron over them. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Crayola-U...Count/19310944

Like any marking tool, it is always a good idea to test if you can. Not sure if you have enough fabric in the kit though.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:14 PM
Power Poster

You could use a regular pencil if it shows up well enough. It will probably wash out, but wouldn't matter if it doesn't since your stitching will cover the line.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:45 PM
Power Poster

I like to use Frixion pens for embroidery work. I trace out the pattern and if I go off the line a bit, I know a warm iron will erase it.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:46 PM

had a Viking/Pfaff educator tell our long arm guild that you should always test a marker when you buy it as the minerals in your water may "set" them. I use the water soluble blue line markers. I've had a mess with UltraClean Crayola Markers on a customer quilt--she used starch and only difference when I marked(and was able to get out easily)on a quilt of my own.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:07 PM
Banned

I like to use the purple air erase markers or white chalk on my quilts but for something like this I would use a regular mechanical pencil. The lead makes a thin line and you can mark as light or as dark as you need to.

Cari
Old 10-14-2018, 03:00 AM

When I did redwork , bluework, or blackwork embroidery, I used the Sakura Pigma Micron pens 01 size using the color to match the thread I was going to use, red, blue, black. These pens mark with an extremely fine line and are acid free and archival safe. So washing out was not an issue with me. The lines also stay on and do not rub off while you are working.
Love the kit and if I was still able to do hand embroidery, would jump on that one.
here is a google search showing where the pens are available.......
https://www.google.com/search?source...31.-n-k-YWLK-E
Old 10-14-2018, 04:52 AM

Thank you for your suggestions and help. I'm hoping I can get this started this week and with any luck will be done by Christmas (2019 that is )
Old 10-14-2018, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I like to use Frixion pens for embroidery work. I trace out the pattern and if I go off the line a bit, I know a warm iron will erase it.
Please see what was posted concerning Frixion pens on this site. I did baby quilts using the pens and when the quilts were put in the car during an Ohio winter all the marks reappeared. They don't wash out. Caution!
Old 10-14-2018, 06:51 AM

[QUOTE=Murphy224;8142891]When I did redwork , bluework, or blackwork embroidery, I used the Sakura Pigma Micron pens 01 size using the color to match the thread I was going to use, red, blue, black. These pens mark with an extremely fine line and are acid free and archival safe. So washing out was not an issue with me. The lines also stay on and do not rub off while you are working.
Love the kit and if I was still able to do hand embroidery, would jump on that one.

This is what I use, but a .05 in brown. I usually use a single thread and the tracing is totally covered. Hobby Lobby sells Pigma pens in packages of several colors.