Singer 115 help

Old 10-17-2018, 02:43 PM

Default Singer 115 help

All of you were so helpful when I was given a singer 115 treadle and now I need to know how to get parts and find a repair manual. The tension doesn't work but all the parts seem to be there and there is a guide that goes in front of the needle that is missing. We oiled and cleaned it and it runs and stitches just has very bad tension.
Thanks for your help!
Lynda
Old 10-17-2018, 03:38 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]602691[/ATTACH]All I can do is post a pic. I gave mine away.
Attached Thumbnails singer-115-sale-b.jpg  
Old 10-17-2018, 04:31 PM

Use two layers of shirt or quilt weight cotton. Choose a sew-all weight thread, I prefer Gütermann sew-all polyester, it has very even dependable quality, but a good mercerised cotton will do too.

Do a drop test on the bobbin case, leave it dangling in the air, yank the thread a bit and it should drop a few inches. You can make a bag of beans or rice and tie it to the end of the thread, it should weigh 1 oz. It's much the same drop approach. There are tension gauges for this too if you like more accurate measuring gadgets. You adjust the screw until you get the right drop.

Then thread the machine, make sure the upper tension have gradual tension as you screw the nut in. When you pull the thread backwards there should be loose grip in an outer position, quite firm in inner position. At about a medium position you should get even stitches, what ever you do it involves a bit of test sewing and gradual adjustment to get it right.

Make sure the tenion spring in the bobbin case is clean, the same for the the parts in the top tensioner too. The check spring on the upper tension has to be in good condition.

Last edited by Mickey2; 10-17-2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:50 PM

Here's the link for the ownersy manual, scroll down a bit.
http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...e-manuals.html
Sometimes the check spring is good on the tension, but isn't seated correctly. When you take it apart, be sure to photograph it and compare to diagrams for correct reassembly.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:49 AM

Lizze Lennard have a video on it, the hand crank part starts at about 8:36. Is yours turning smoothly?
Old 10-18-2018, 05:08 AM

Thank you for all your help. The upper tension doesn't work which is why I want a repair manual and a place I can find parts. I have taken it apart and all parts look right but no matter how much I screw it in there is no tension on the top. The bobbin tension seems good. I am wondering if the pin in the upper tension has been replaced in the past and is a wee bit too long but I don't want to take any off it in case that isn't the problem. Therefore a need for a repair manual and a source for parts. Oh and mine isn't a hand crank. And I have a manual and found a parts list that isn't very informative. But I need a source to get the parts.
Lynda

Last edited by lwbuchholz; 10-18-2018 at 05:10 AM.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:10 AM

Hi Lynda,

I haven't been able to find a repair manual for the 115. WIChix is correct about the instruction manual for your 115 can be found at the link she posted. Here is the direct link http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...ine-manual.pdf Also, as she said "Sometimes the check spring is good on the tension, but isn't seated correctly. When you take it apart, be sure to photograph it and compare to diagrams for correct reassembly." It is possible that the tension assembly need a complete disassemble and thorough cleaning. My 115 has a newer assembly. I think your tension assembly is more like the 15-30. I think it is like the one shown on this thread - VSMS: Difference between Singer 115 and Singer 15-30 machines?

Since it is very similar on the top to a 15-30 I would suggest taking a look at https://quiltersstashbox.com/blogs/v...-1-disassembly especially the "Thread Tension Assembly"

I think the needle thread guide is a wire that screws on to the needle clamp. You can find the parts list at http://parts.singerco.com/IPpartCharts/115-1_2.pdf On page 28 of the pdf you can see 55619 (needle bar thread guard). Perhaps you can fashion one from the image.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

I really think you need to take it apart and clean thoroughly. If it has the pin 15238 on page 29 of the parts pdf you can print out that page and compare the pin to the print out of that page. Only print "current page" and do not alter the page size.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 10-18-2018 at 05:21 AM. Reason: additional thought
Old 10-18-2018, 08:53 AM

Just an odd thought.

When you are testing for too tension, is the foot down? If it is, then I would guess the mechanism for the pin that engages/releases the tension discs is gummed up.

Sometimes the littlest things can trip us up.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:41 AM

Sorry about post #5, for some odd reason it ended opp in this thread. Wrong post entirely

Don't hesitate to take the tension assembly with stud out. You probably don't have to take the entire stud - bolt thing out, but inspect the release pin from behind, does it run freely in there. It should be clean and not oiled. Some times dust, grime or something get stuck in odd places. Let the release pin drop out, and poke something in there to check if it's clean and unclogged. Machines in fold away cabinets are very prone to have oil seeping in every where, and with time it gets sticky.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:02 AM

OK some good information. I have taken it apart and didn't know there was a spring back in the tension mechanism. I will check that. We are in the process of cleaning and getting it ready to sew is how we discovered the problem. It was and still very dirty. It had been stored in a shed after being purchased at an auction so you know it is a mess. I have printed up the parts and users manual as well as saved them to my hard drive. When printed the parts aren't true to size so checking the pin won't work. Otherwise it looks like the pin that is in there. I have searched the net and can't find a place to buy parts so am still looking for that if anyone knows of a site I can buy parts for this machine.
Thanks
Lynda