My Estate Sale Find

Old 10-19-2018, 07:55 PM

Default My Estate Sale Find

I've been wanting a white featherweight, but I really didn't want to spend a lot of money on one. I'm signed up for EstateSales.net and I have been casually watching for things I want. It seems like so many of the sales that look like they have good things are too far away or in parts of the city I hate to go to.

This week I got an email from them about a sale that was only a few miles from my house. The pictures weren't very good but I could identify a white featherweight. The pic wasn't good enough to tell what kind of condition it was in. Since the sale as so close to my house, I decided to go ahead and go.

This is what I came home with:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]602798[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]602800[/ATTACH]

Its just the cutest little machine. I love it! When I checked it out at the sale, I couldn't get the hand wheel to turn and the needle was stuck in needle down thru a piece of cloth, but the motor moved the belt. It was in such good condition and so clean that I decided to take a chance that I could get it moving so I bought it. I ended up paying $50 for it so I figured if I had to have someone work on it for me, it was okay. With the prices I've seen for working ones, I could afford to put some money in this one and get it working. (Much to the chagrin of a guy who got there right after I did and wanted it, too. ) It had this piece of fabric under the foot so had apparently been working when it was put away
[ATTACH=CONFIG]602803[/ATTACH]

It's all there and has the case which is a bit dirty but not in bad condition
[ATTACH=CONFIG]602802[/ATTACH]

And it has this lovely orange belt (which is going to have to go)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]602804[/ATTACH]

I brought it home and thanks to the vintage machine gurus here I tried cleaning it (which it really didn't need) and giving it a good oiling. I oiled it well and went to the office. When I came home for lunch, the handwheel still wasn't moving so I oiled it again and left it while I went back to work. When I came home from work I tried it again and wheel began to move! I was so excited! I moved it and oiled it some more. It started to move much more freely. After a little while, I tried the foot control and the little motor can move the shaft. The needle is now moving up and down freely. Tomorrow I'm going to try to see if it sews. Wish me luck!
Attached Thumbnails dsc_1724.jpg   dsc_1725.jpg   dsc_1726.jpg   dsc_1728.jpg   dsc_1727.jpg  

Last edited by cashs_mom; 10-19-2018 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:20 PM

Great find!
I sure hope when my estate someday comes, someone as excited as you gets my machines!
Way to go.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:34 PM
Power Poster

Cute little featherweight and at that price, you can take it in for repairs if needed and still have a bargain!
Old 10-20-2018, 01:54 AM

So happy for you!
Old 10-20-2018, 02:15 AM

I am wishing you luck on your sewing machine adventure. I have never seen a white featherweight. I will stay tuned to see if you get it to sew soon.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:20 AM

Cute machine and awesome bargain!
Old 10-20-2018, 02:34 AM

Bingo! What a find. I'll bet there is just a wad of lint and thread caught somewhere and it will free up once that is removed. You did well.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:43 AM

I have it’s twin also from an Estate this Summer. I knew the owner and knew it would be in perfect condition. The price was considerably more ($250) but I’m happy for it. According to the sales receipt in the case, it cost $100 new. Congratulations!
Old 10-20-2018, 03:32 AM

Wow...you are so lucky to have gotten there when you did. I've learned to always pick the item up and carry it around with me instead of thinking "I'll get it on my way out". Every time I do that it's gone!!
Old 10-20-2018, 03:39 AM

To me, the funny thing about estate-find FW's is that they generally tend to be found in near pristine condition. I inherited my mother-in-law's black, mid-50's FW. It too was in near pristine condition. Before her passing, she mentioned that she really did not care too much for sewing. She preferred to paint for her creative outlet.

I think she had gotten a FW almost as a required household appliance when she got married - mainly for mending or light-duty sewing. A FW Is all contained in a small box as opposed to being in a dedicated cabinet for full-size machines. Her mother had sewn all of hers and her three sisters' clothes, but my dm-i-l would have none of that as rtw clothing was much more prevalent and affordable than when she was growing up. I suspect many women thought that way as they raised their families in the late 40's until the early 60's. Hence, FW's really are not that rare and usually in very good condition.

John Thomas in NC