Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Teach a Kid To Sew" Book Suggestions? >

"Teach a Kid To Sew" Book Suggestions?

"Teach a Kid To Sew" Book Suggestions?

Old 10-22-2018, 11:40 AM

Default "Teach a Kid To Sew" Book Suggestions?

I have a step-granddaughter that became part of our family a few years ago. She's going on 11 years old now and loves Legos, or anything else that she can put together. She has tons of Legos and is starting to grow out of them. Now that she's on the verge of becoming a teenager, I thought that she might want to learn how to sew and/or quilt. For Christmas, I'm planning on giving her and her mom one of my smaller, vintage, sewing machines so that they can sew together in their apartment. I would like to include a good book and some notions to get them started. Does anyone know of a great book for teaching kids to sew? Her mom has done some sewing, but I don't think much, so it would be a teaching tool for her too. Thanks!

~ C
Old 10-22-2018, 12:20 PM

I'd like to add that videos would also be good. I could put them on a stick for her and she could watch them on her laptop.

~ C
Old 10-22-2018, 01:48 PM

I looked on Amazon under children's sewing books. Quite a few came up. I would see if your local library carries any of them and check them out. Another option is the sewing machine dealerships. In my area the various stores offer classes for the kids. Its their way of getting them hooked at an early age since so many of the school systems do not offer Home Ec. classes any more...…..don't get me started on that topic!
Old 10-22-2018, 02:03 PM

What a great thing to introduce your granddaughter to sewing/quilting. Like PMahowald, don't get me started on the disappearance of Home Ec. classes! I think that was a terrible decision on the part of the schools. Anyway, a lady just opened up a "Sewing Lounge" in our town where you can go & meet w/friends & sew together, etc. She also has classes & one that really caught my eye was the one called "Kid's Sewing 101...the basics". Ages 10 & up can come & learn about sewing machines & the basics of sewing. They will make a small fabric bag in the class to put their sewing supplies in. I think every town needs something like this.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:59 PM

I know Nancy's Notions has a book about teaching kids to sew and Eleanor Burns has one also. I have checked them out (as much as possible online) and they look pretty good for that purpose. Or anyone who is learning to sew.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:56 AM

Check with your local Extension office and see if you can buy some project books. clear instructions and kid friendly projects
Old 10-23-2018, 07:21 AM

When my DD was young, she took "Kids Can Sew" classes as we had a local teacher. I just googled it and see the company is still in business, maybe that might be something you can look into?
Old 10-23-2018, 09:04 AM

my kids really like this book. it's aimed at females but my son liked it as well, he made a few pillows, a backpack and a small quilt. there's a "I can Sew" book as well that they enjoyed.

https://www.amazon.com/Can-Quilt-Car...ds=i+can+quilt
Old 10-23-2018, 10:57 AM

If you find one on Amazon, usually you can have a look there on line at the inside pages! Doesn't mean you have to buy it there! Its a great service.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:20 AM

A great starter pattern for teaching is Eleanor Burn’s “ Quilt in a Day” Irish Chain Quilt. It is laid out step by step, and lots of diagrams. It was my first pattern, and I learned much of what I know from this source.