Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Backstitch button not working on my old Kenmore >

Backstitch button not working on my old Kenmore

Backstitch button not working on my old Kenmore

Old 11-21-2018, 07:38 AM

Default Backstitch button not working on my old Kenmore

Hello everyone! I have a Kenmore 385.1168280, my first machine given to me by hubby about 30 years ago. The backstitch button just stopped working. I push it and nothing. Could this be something I can fix myself, or can it be fixed at all? I know the machine is probably worth nothing, but I love it, and in some ways prefer it to my Janome 6600. Thanks so much for any advice!
Old 11-21-2018, 10:35 AM

Wish I could help. I know what you mean about loving a sewing machine, though, especially one that was a gift from your husband. Hope someone can help you.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:06 AM

Thanks cathyvv! Funny isn't it? I wanted the Janome really badly, but never bonded with it like I did my old Kenmore! If I don't get any suggestions here, I'll just keep using her without the backstitch unless I get the courage to take it apart and try to fix it.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:18 AM

Is it a mechanical machine, little to no digitilised displays and computerised parts? Is it a 1990s model?

It probably needs a service. These machines were often sold as "lubrication free", but it's only partially true. They need cleaning and some kind of lubrication to run smoothly. They were made to be serviced or replaced before the oil dried up. The challenge with a machine like this is to get the platic casing off, inspect parts and get hold of the right type of oil for the purpose. For the most part, basic sewing machine oil works, or something with added teflon.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:24 PM

My GF's new lubrication free machine worked tons better after a tech told her it needed lube and I opened it up and gave it a drink. Opening them up, like Mickey2 said, is a big part of the challenge. Lot of hidden catches.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:44 AM

There's a feed linkage that gets frozen up. I had one old Kenmore that wouldn't let go for anything. I finally had to use Dawn dishsoap on a Q-tip. That stuff really breaks up the old grease. LOL! Hopefully, your won't come to that.

If you look in the bottom of the machine, and follow what's supposed to move when you push the back-stitch button, you'll discover the culprit. On some, it's a plastic tube with a plunger. On other's it's the feed dog drop linkage, right in the front of the machine, just right of the hook. It has a little metal barrel that won't turn. It needs oil on the shaft and grease on the outside flat surface.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:02 AM

Thanks to all of you! The backstitch is now working! I still don't know what was causing the problem, because by the time I got the plastic cover off the end where the hand wheel is, it had started working again, probably because of all the manhandling I gave it. Anyway, I got an interesting view inside my machine and gave it a really thorough cleaning and oiling and she is sewing beautifully now and I am happy. Thanks again!
Old 11-22-2018, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by wishfulthinking View Post
Thanks to all of you! The backstitch is now working! I still don't know what was causing the problem, because by the time I got the plastic cover off the end where the hand wheel is, it had started working again, probably because of all the manhandling I gave it. Anyway, I got an interesting view inside my machine and gave it a really thorough cleaning and oiling and she is sewing beautifully now and I am happy. Thanks again!
I'm so glad you got her working again. With a thoroughly cleaning and oiling you should be good for another year.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
I had one old Kenmore that wouldn't let go for anything. I finally had to use Dawn dishsoap on a Q-tip. That stuff really breaks up the old grease.
I'm working on an old Kenmore right now (158.1641) that is still stiff in some areas in spite of alcohol clean, Tri-flow, and sitting overnight in various positions. So how do you get all the Dawn rinsed out after using it as degreaser? Or do you just follow with oil?
Old 11-25-2018, 07:19 AM

I once had a gummed up machine it took four days to free up. It turned and sew fine, but it took repeated oiling and test running the machine a couple of times a day before it turned as light as it should. I used spray can oil and regular sewing machine oil at the time. I remember something suddenly released the fourth day, I had again added a bit of oil to all the oil points and it did the trick. Another common thing is missing a spot or two; all joints, gears, levers, hinges knobs, needle bar needs to have the oil seep in where it should, and it can take a bit of time for dried up oil to dissolve. It's often more of the same that does the trick, unless there's layers of grime and thick grease, you should get by with triflow. A good spray can oil can speed things up too.