Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Trying To Identify Model 66 Bobbin Winder >

Trying To Identify Model 66 Bobbin Winder

Trying To Identify Model 66 Bobbin Winder

Old 02-16-2019, 02:20 PM

Default Trying To Identify Model 66 Bobbin Winder

I have a 1928 Model 66 that has a broken bobbin winder, I've tried to identify which winder I need. Visually, I think I've found on that looks like mine, hopefully a correct replacement. However, a webpage I found that lists the differences between various versions of the Model 66 refer to an "Early" bobbin winder on the 66-6 and a "Low" bobbin winder on the 66-8. I haven't been able to find out what the differences are between the two.

It is cast mounting arm for the winder that is broken on my machine, so several pieces that could help identify the winder are missing. This is what I have left. Any idea which one this is? Thanks
.[ATTACH=CONFIG]608587[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_1985.jpeg  
Old 02-16-2019, 02:41 PM

I'm pretty sure it's this type. The early version had a thread guide, or "finger", moving the thread left and right to fill the bobbin evenly. The later version didn't have the moving finger, but a more minimal solution. There might be a few other differences; when you take of the belt guard notice the number of fitting screws and where are placed. My 1934 model 99 has the early type winder, I think they are the same as 66. I don't think the second type appeared until the 1940s, not sure there are a specific year of introduction, since features, version and production tend to overlap. It's at least so with model 15. Model 66 is luckily less fuzz than 15s, but there are a few surpises on this model too. The 66-8 are a much later version than yours, probably the first with stitch length lever and backtack in stead of the turn knob

Last edited by Mickey2; 02-16-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:25 PM

How do you take the bobbin case out of your 66? When you slide the bobbin cover completely off, is there a lift up lever or do you have to turn out a screw?
Old 02-16-2019, 07:48 PM

There is a lever that it appears would push up the bobbin. And, regarding your earlier post, I did find what you mentioned, that the 66-8 has the stitch length lever, and mine has the knob. So, best guess is a 66-6, based on the basic tension, the stitch length knob, and the non-slotted balance wheel. Which then points to the "early" bobbin winder. I found one on eBay that seems to match visually, and per the description requires a belt slot diameter on the wheel of 3 1/2 inches, which is what mine measures. This is my first venture on repairing/restoring anything, and my first taste of what it takes to identify really old things and their parts, and then find replacements. Hopefully, it will get easier. Thanks!
Old 02-17-2019, 06:17 AM

You could keep the original belt guard though and just replace the bobbin winder: The decals are still very nice on yours even if there is scratch in the finish. Maybe a bit of nail polish or fillling it in with shellac can even out the dent? Carefull touch ups can go far. I prefer to keep the original finish as far as possible and do minor touch ups.

On this model; first you take the bobbin out, then you slightly lift up a lever and move it towards you; it will release the bobbin case for cleaning and oiling. The tricky part is the bobbin slide plate (or cover) needs to come off completely for you to notice the lift up lever. The early version 66 has a different solution; a screw has to come out to release the bobbin case. There is one warning regarding the 66, if you have the lift up lever version, don't loosen the screw in center securing the lever. If you do the race and hook will slide around down there and it will take a bit of effort and adjustment to get it back together. It will cause a lot of tension issues until pars are back correctly. There are good illustrations in the maunual. Unless something is very rusty or damaged, you don't need to do a full reassembly; just follow the maintanance steps in the manual. It saves a beginner a lot of work and uncertainty.

Another tricky thing; leave the red felt bit near the bobbin case in place, it's an oil wick for the hook and race.

Here's a link to SewClassic's guide to measure the motor belt for the hand wheel. If you mean the bobbin tire, it's usually much smaller on model 66. I have noticed refurbished Singers often have a different bobbin winder, and it's not the original Singer part. My 1934 machine has the standard early bobbin winder, but it's a bit later than your 1928 machine.

Last edited by Mickey2; 02-17-2019 at 06:35 AM.