Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Laser Fabic Cutting Machines >

Laser Fabic Cutting Machines

Laser Fabic Cutting Machines

Old 12-14-2018, 11:19 AM

Default Laser Fabic Cutting Machines

Hi. I'm thinking of buying a cutting machine similar to the Accu Cut, but want to buy one that cuts with a laser so I can use it for paper piecing-I'm horrible at cutting Exactly on the lines. Has anyone had any experience with a laser cutter like Brothers or some other brand.
Thanks for you responses, Peg

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-14-2018 at 01:50 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 12-14-2018, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

Can't help you out, just want to welcome you to this board.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:53 PM

Hi & Welcome!

There are a variety of machines available. Much depends on the type of projects you want to do. I have the Scan n cut and also the Accuquilt machine. I wouldn't use the SNC for cutting out quilt block projects.
The Accuquilt systems with the appropriate shape dies makes for fast cutting of a whole quilt. If you are experience difficulties with cutting, this is the one I would consider.

I'm wondering where you are having problems with cutting? Are the lines hard to see? Try different brands of rulers. Are you having problems with the rulers slipping? What cutter are you using?

There are many different tools that may be just the "one" for you. Personally, I cut fabrics with the 60mm rotary cutter. It is easier for me over the 45 mm cutters. Do you have a local quilt shop that would let you work with some of the tools to decide which ones fit you best?

Hopefully, other posters will share their views on these different systems too.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:26 PM

I've got a brother Scan n Cut, and it uses a knife. My only experience with a laser cutter is at one of the places I worked, but they used it for cutting wood dies. It was super neat, but cut very hot. My son used it and on the slow nights he scanned a few of my original pencil drawings and etched them into wood and that turned out really neat.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:31 PM

I don't know of any fabric cutting machine that uses a laser. I have an Accuquilt as well as a Cricut Maker. The Cricut Maker cuts fabric with a small rotary blade.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:00 PM

Jordan's Fabrics, Oregon, uses a laser cutter. https://jordanfabrics.com/

Maybe she would share what kind they use. I looked over the internet and it appears that they could be pretty expensive (about $2000) and the ads seem to suggest they have to be programmed somehow.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:08 AM

this looks pretty neat! I did not know they could use them on fabric, though it sounds like you have to be careful when cutting natural fibers as they burn instead of melting. Usually the machine is not as expensive as the software that runs it, though I did see one that you can use the design software you already have, and then import that.

I've been wanting my husband to get a plasma cutter for the shop - would not work on fabric though!
Old 12-15-2018, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

I do a lot of paper piecing. I don't understand what you mean by cutting on the line. The only cutting is after you sew, I don't see how a cutting machine would help you do that. I have the Go and would buy another one one second after it broke. It's almost 10 years old and still works great.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
this looks pretty neat! I did not know they could use them on fabric, though it sounds like you have to be careful when cutting natural fibers as they burn instead of melting. Usually the machine is not as expensive as the software that runs it, though I did see one that you can use the design software you already have, and then import that.

I've been wanting my husband to get a plasma cutter for the shop - would not work on fabric though!

Yes, laser cutting can be done successfully on fabric. Katie Flynn Nichols (no relation, no business interest, etc) in 2011 cut out fabrics for a DWR that I made. She told me how much of each fabric to buy and I washed, ironed, sent them to her, and they came back to me all cut and ready to go. It was amazing!! Yes, some of the pieces has slightly brown edges from the heat of the laser, but it was well within the 1/4" and washed out completely when the quilt was done. I never would have been able to do a DWR without the aid of the laser cut. Just me. But if laser cutters were available at a reasonable price and one wanted to do complicated patterns, it would be a way to go.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:49 PM

Hello and welcome from Oregon.

I have a scan n cut and an accuquilt cutter. The scan n cut uses a small blade to cut. Personally I don’t use it in my quilting because it’s too time consuming. I just got the accuquilt so haven’t had much time to use it yet but I expect I will be using it a lot.