Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
What do I need to know? Possible Featherweight Purchase >

What do I need to know? Possible Featherweight Purchase

What do I need to know? Possible Featherweight Purchase

Old 12-21-2018, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

Watson, I'm thinking the 1951 is the Centennial model? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Having said this though, I don't know if that makes it "worth more".
And Patrice is right- I've found manuals for various older Singers on the website free.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:09 PM

That post has been up for years... either they are junk machines or they are a draw for something else... like a "junk" shop...
They never replied to me either.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-hobbies-craf...sale/289075578
Old 12-28-2018, 05:53 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Watson - The UK machine will most likely be correct for the US unless it was made for UK use and either needs a converter to use here or was retro fitted with a US motor and plug. Many of the vintage Singers were built in the Clyde Bank factory for export to other countries.

Susie - The 1951 machine may or may not have the Centennial badge. Every Singer dealer was sent a certain amount of Centennial badges to put on their machines, and there are documented machines having the badge in a range of years, from 1947 to 1953. The theory is that after the Centennial year dealers started putting leftover badges on older stock (and any new machines) to get the old stock moving. I think back then people didn't think to check what year the machine they wanted was actually made, and the serial number lists weren't available to the general public back then. If it had the Centennial badge then it must be a Centennial machine, or that's what the dealers wanted people to think.

Cari
Cari- thanks so much for that info. I don't know much about the history. Now I know a bit more!