Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Back To Basics: Janome Blue Couture For Quilting & Other Sewing Needs >

Back To Basics: Janome Blue Couture For Quilting & Other Sewing Needs

Back To Basics: Janome Blue Couture For Quilting & Other Sewing Needs

Old 12-20-2018, 05:31 PM

Default Back To Basics: Janome Blue Couture For Quilting & Other Sewing Needs

I just purchased another sewing machine as a backup to other ones I have. I decided to stay with mechanical ones. I like the simplicity, dependability, longevity, and freedom from becoming too dependent on technology. When I opened the box and examined the new sewing machine, I found out that it had no Needle Threader or Thread Cutter features. Yet it still had other modern features such as Snap on/off Presser Feet, Inlay Recess Upper Threading, a Bobbin Winder Stopper, Free Arm with Accessories Box, and Sewing Light.
Very strange!

So what did I choose to do? While I suppose others might return this machine in a huff, I knew from I seem to prefer to do things a bit different from others. I am GLAD that this machine did not come with those extra bells & whistles that others in that price range (even below) offer. I don’t want to have only 1 machine to do vital (badly needed) features that I cannot really live without. I have rather poor vision due to age. So a Needle Threader is a real important feature that all sewing machines I use must have. Though not necessary have to be permanently built right in any particular individual sewing machine. So I still (and probably always will) stick to the “dime store” silver-ish loop style needle threader. It is still being used after more than a century by many both heavy and light quilter and sewing people. I quickly pull the thread through the needle without any problem as you can see by the photo below threading the new sewing machine. The new built in Needle Threaders? I don’t jell with them very well. So I will continue to scatter the dime store ones throughout my sewing space. Along with hem gauges, plain white chalk, plant misters, transparent “scotch” tape, freezer paper, and other oddball household things repurposed for quilting/sewing.

As for the new sewing machine, it's a real keeper. Being a Janome, the Straight & ZigZag stitches are perfectly balanced and even without any major adjustments by me right out of the box. It is now going to sew up a brand new quilt in a few days. It sews about 800 SPM-pretty good for a domestic home machine. It was tested on sewing up that blue curtain you can see in the background. I like to sew & quilt in front of the curtain as the sun's rays are filtered by it's semi sheerness. I know I will enjoy sewing the quilt in front of it during the day. I really look forward to doing this new quilt project very much now.

Are there other quilters share my "old style" beliefs & practices?

Attached Thumbnails blue-sewing-machine-final-version.jpg   dritz-needle-threader-final-resized.jpg  

Last edited by Iona D.; 12-20-2018 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:54 PM

You aren't alone. I would rather have a mechanical machine which is why I love my vintage machines. Congrats on your new machine!
Old 12-21-2018, 07:27 PM

I prefer mechanical as well, I wish my new-ish Brother didn't have a needle threader, it just gets in the way, but I love it in all other respects. Enjoy your new baby!
Old 12-22-2018, 07:24 AM

I have needle threaders on my embroidery machines (2 small ones) and don't use them. I have a knee lift on my Bernina 1260 and don't use that either. I learned to sew back in the 60's before all the gizmos and easily live without them. The only feature I use ALL the time is the needle up and down feature. As long as they sew well and I can balance the tension I am good.
Old 12-22-2018, 08:06 AM

I'm fine with mechanical, but you can get a fully mechanical built on needle threader, and I love my knee lift with is also fully mechanical (many are electronic) However I don't know if you can get a fully mechanical built in thread cutter - all I've seen are motor actuated, not lever actuated.

Does your machine have cams or step motors for the design stitches? If its got step motors then it's not mechanical for them. Now days, there are a lot of new machines that are marketed as being mechanical, when they are quite for from it, they just aren't computerized. If you can use the features without having to to plug the machine in, then it's fully mechanical.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by pennycandy View Post
You aren't alone. I would rather have a mechanical machine which is why I love my vintage machines. Congrats on your new machine!
pennycandy,

I am with you. I have a Viking 6430 (my favorite go-to machine at home), three New Homes L-372's -- one at home and one used for sew days, one Featherweight, one 301A, one 301 longbed. I also have a new New Home computerized machine sitting in a spare room covered and only used three times -- I hate that machine.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:51 PM
Power Poster

I want the auto thread cutter because it saves so much thread. A spool of good thread cost as much as a yard of fabric these days. I can tell a big difference in how much longer my bobbin lasts using the auto thread cutter. I want needle down/up and speed control on my machine. That is all I care about as far as features.