Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cutting precision and accuracy >

cutting precision and accuracy

cutting precision and accuracy

Old 12-29-2018, 10:42 AM

I like to cut my fabric “on grain”. That is difficult to do with an Accuquilt. My cutting accuracy is fine. For that reason, I have made the decision to not get an accuquilt.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
on the other hand, erratically cut pieces sewn with eneven seams seldom result in a well done block.
So true...and may cause problems later on as fabric cut off grain will "twist" after sewn.

On another note..has anyone had the chance to use the Quilters Select rulers? Be forewarned they are very expensive. We have started using them at the LQS and they don't slip! My boss gave me a 6 x 24 for Christmas...what a great gift! I need a new 12.5" square and no doubt will replace it with one of these.

https://quiltersselect.com/products/...uilting-Rulers
Old 12-29-2018, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
On another note..has anyone had the chance to use the Quilters Select rulers? Be forewarned they are very expensive. We have started using them at the LQS and they don't slip! My boss gave me a 6 x 24 for Christmas...what a great gift! I need a new 12.5" square and no doubt will replace it with one of these.

https://quiltersselect.com/products/...uilting-Rulers
I wonder how long the non-slip last on the Quilters Select. Creative Grids rulers are
very good when they are new but after some use the non-slip wears out and I have
to add some Nexcare tape.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:35 PM

I have the small 3" x 6" quilter's select-- I use it a fair amount because it's a useful size that I don't have in any other brand-- it's okay, but I'm not thrilled with the color and the markings on it. It doesn't slip, but as EazyPeezy mentioned I wonder how long that non-slip coating will last.

Rob
Old 12-29-2018, 03:05 PM

I certainly think one can get close. There are factors though for that perfect cut. Is the fabric wrinkled up or pressed flat? Where are the ruler lines placed on the fabric for cutting?

In other words, it's in the details.

I sometimes cut a smidge over the line, piece the fabrics and then trim down to size. More work of course, but the blocks line up better.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:18 PM
Power Poster

I have had the QS rulers since they first came available to buy. So far the non slip is like new and my rulers are used a lot at retreats and classes by a lot of different quilters who want to try them. I like the non glare color and the lines are very thin but bold so I can see them. I have every size of the QS rulers now. I use Creative Grids rulers when I need a specialty ruler.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:33 PM
Power Poster

Hey I will try to keep you updated on the lasting of the QS ruler. It has been used in the shop daily for about 2 months now. I have not noticed any degradation in the coating. Personally I don't have problems with reading it...biggest adjustment I had was going from a 6 1/2" x 24 1/2" ruler to a 6 x 24.

EasyPeezy I wish I had put Nexcare tape on my rulers when they were brand new...I think then the markings wouldn't have worn off! It does help, doesn't it? I think the markings on the QS rulers are between the ruler and the non slip coating. I'm not getting rid of old rulers for these new ones. I'm way too conservative for that.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:51 PM

Oksewglad, I use Nexcare tape for the non-slip coating. Not sure how it would
help on the markings.
I've moved from those awful yellow Omnigrid rulers to Creative Grids. I like the
fine lines on the Creative Grids and it's clear. Not a fan of frosty rulers.
Old rulers can come in handy. I use the square ones when I press my quilt blocks.
Old 12-29-2018, 04:33 PM

I have a Go! and the two dies that matched Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt Clue 5. Everything was cut with the Go! & I was dismayed at how hard it was to sew them. Perhaps my old Bernina that has run for 8 hours a day for 25 years or so is about to wear out. Seems like the feed dogs want to pull to the left when I get down to the bottom. It's been in for service 2 months ago when it started breaking thread. I put a new hook in it a year ago.

Any ideas? Marcia
Old 12-29-2018, 05:08 PM

My QOV group uses a die cutter to make kits for us to sew and I HATE sewing them. I get much better results with shapes I have cut myself. The kit blocks are never square, they have jagged edges, and they don't lay flat. I hadn't thought of the grain and I'm glad you mentioned it UFO's Galore; that may be why I don't like the results when I use their kits. Next time I am at group I will look carefully at the pieces and see how true to grain they are. Bottom line is I have no interest in owning a die cutter.

ETA: I use Creative Grids rulers and Deb Tucker tools.