Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cutting precision and accuracy >

cutting precision and accuracy

cutting precision and accuracy

Old 12-29-2018, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
So true...and may cause problems later on as fabric cut off grain will "twist" after sewn.

On another note..has anyone had the chance to use the Quilters Select rulers? Be forewarned they are very expensive. We have started using them at the LQS and they don't slip! My boss gave me a 6 x 24 for Christmas...what a great gift! I need a new 12.5" square and no doubt will replace it with one of these.

https://quiltersselect.com/products/...uilting-Rulers
I just bought one of these last fall. I really like it. The non slip coating may not last forever, but its totally worth it while it does. I'd buy another in a heart beat.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:39 PM

I've been using QS rulers since they came out. I bought one and was so happy with it that I bought the rest of the available sizes. I wish they would make some more sizes and shapes. I notice no change in the anti-slip property of my rulers and they are the only ones I use. I wouldn't use anything else.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:43 PM

I prefer sewing blocks that I have cut by hand, but the hands and arms have issues so I have a GO big (electric). I agree that getting straight of grain is a challenge, but if I take some extra time positioning the pieces I have managed. What I do know is that if I have a block that is a bit off, I either replace it or pair it with a perfect block so I can get the correct size block -- and yes I have had blocks off with the GO as well as by hand. I do find that starching the fabric heavily helps when either cutting by hand or using the GO.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:42 AM

I have no trouble cutting accurately and have no desire for another big gadget that costs lots to start with and lots more for all the individual dies. I use commonly purchased rulers. No desire for all these fancy things.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:35 AM

I have a Accuquilt Go as well, with far too many of their dies, and sadly I feel I get better results if I cut them myself. I find that I get more accurate results when I properly prepare my fabric (starch and pressing) take my time and get into the zen zone, use a good ruler (love quilters select rulers) and write down each piece I’m cutting on scrap paper, and place the paper on top of the finished pieces before moving onto the next. It’s easy for my eyes to wander if I’m looking at the requirements directly from the pattern. I find that proper prep of fabric results in more accurate cutting, more accurate cutting results in more accurate piecing, more accurate piecing results in more accurate blocks and more accurate blocks results in a more accurate finished product. For myself, I want my time and efforts and the money spent, to end with more than acceptable results.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
Seems like the feed dogs want to pull to the left when I get down to the bottom. It's been in for service 2 months ago when it started breaking thread. I put a new hook in it a year ago.

Any ideas? Marcia
I learned in a class to stop the drift at the end of a seam place your left index finger on the left edge of the machine foot as you near the end. It works great. When I have a stubborn seam I keep my finger on the foot and it keeps me sewing straight. Expensive class I didn't like once I started it but I always learn something and this tip was worth it. Give it a try for your problem.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
So true...and may cause problems later on as fabric cut off grain will "twist" after sewn.

On another note..has anyone had the chance to use the Quilters Select rulers? Be forewarned they are very expensive. We have started using them at the LQS and they don't slip! My boss gave me a 6 x 24 for Christmas...what a great gift! I need a new 12.5" square and no doubt will replace it with one of these.

https://quiltersselect.com/products/...uilting-Rulers
I love Quilter's Select - best rulers with non-slip and numbers both lowest to highest and highest to lowest.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by UFOs Galore View Post
I like to cut my fabric “on grain”. That is difficult to do with an Accuquilt. My cutting accuracy is fine. For that reason, I have made the decision to not get an accuquilt.
If fabric is laid correctly on the Accuquilt dies, you are lining up the length of grain.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:39 PM

I had to chuckle! Using my Accuquilt dies--for me--is more accurate. I prefer to cut out a project in one session and can't do that without using the dies.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:06 PM
Power Poster

It may be possible for some people but not for me
I do a lot better with my Accuquilt.