Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions for machine quilting >

Suggestions for machine quilting

Suggestions for machine quilting

Old 01-15-2019, 12:46 PM

Default Suggestions for machine quilting

I’ve quilted many pieces over the years, by both hand and machine. I’m quilting a whole cloth simple baby quilt..now I’ve usually used more straight line quilting, which I’m not terrible at...this time I’m using a simple loop design, with a template and disappearing ink..I’m having the hardest time keeping my loops round...I keep getting points or corners in my loops...rip it out and start again...any ideas or advice? Thanks
Old 01-15-2019, 12:51 PM

Maybe you could make up some test pieces and do some practice work. You mention that you usually do straight-line quilting, so could it be that free motion quilting is relatively new for you? If that's the case, the solution could be a bit of practice. Keep us posted.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:18 PM
Power Poster

I agree - do some practice. There is definitely a learning curve to get the smooth movements. And you don't really have to go around the drawn lines exactly if it makes it easier. Once the marks are out it will all look good. Try that on your practice piece and you'll see!
Old 01-15-2019, 01:59 PM
Power Poster

Try your hand at at triangles or squares instead or circles. The corners stops will let you reposition your quilt and hands.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:41 PM
Power Poster

My advice is don't rip it out. No one else will notice the lack of roundness and know that you consider it an error. You learn more by continuing to quilt than by ripping.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:23 PM

Doodle what you want to free motion. It helps with muscle memory. If you doodle lots with pencil and paper before you stitch, it will be much easier when you’re at your machine.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:31 PM

Relax! Breathe. Maybe put on some "loopy" music. Then, think in circles, pebbles, rings....
don't forget to drop your shoulders & have fun.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:39 PM

All good advice. If I read this correctly, you have traced around your template and are now trying to stitch out the design. Try looking ahead of your needle and don't try to stay exactly on the traced line. The more you do the better it will look.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:11 PM
Power Poster

Muscle memory seems to be missing for me. I have quilted hundreds of quilts and don't make loops. I just do FMQ and if there is points I just go on. Some stitches do get a little long so I try retracing the lines to make smaller stitches. If just a tad long I just let them be. I wash all my quilts when totally done and the krinkle hides most things. Making donation quilts for kids and for people that don't quilt helps with that.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:18 PM

practice with a sketch pad while watching tv--but do so at about the same speed you quilt at. Also most of us don't have perfectly circular loops--you are just trying to avoid a flat side.