Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I Open a Brick & Mortar Fabric Shop? >

Should I Open a Brick & Mortar Fabric Shop?

Should I Open a Brick & Mortar Fabric Shop?

Old 02-22-2019, 11:46 AM

Default Should I Open a Brick & Mortar Fabric Shop?

Hello there! I’m a long time reader and first time poster, and would love to get some advice on whether opening a brick and mortar fabric shop is a good idea.
I’ve been a sewist of apparel, home dec, and quilts for about 13 years now. I absolutely love sewing and fabric, and it’s what I do in my free time when I’m not working (I’m currently a full-time office manager at an architectural firm). I would love to turn my hobby into a business and open a fabric shop. I would love to hear any advice from members that have opened their own shops (or have closed their own shops!) on what to expect, challenges, risks, etc. I know that at the beginning I will probably be working 60-80 hours a week and not turn a profit for a while. I have thought about starting small and doing online only, but I live in a tiny apartment and there’s just no room for me to store inventory!
I am also keenly aware that there have been many small fabric shops and LQS’s that have closed recently (I live in the Pacific Northwest, and we’ve had many recent fabric store closures, including Fabric Depot), and that making a living in this business is hard. That being said, I love the feeling I get when visiting a LQS, and would love to be part of that community.
Any advice you can give me on this topic will be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-22-2019, 11:51 AM

I am unable to offer any advice, but I want to welcome you to this forum and wish you well with your journey.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:53 AM

As a potential consumer I say yes! We also lost quiltwork patches this past year. FYI, I believe the owner of jannilous creations here in Philomath is looking for a buyer in the next couple of years, she would like to retire.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:03 PM

Thanks so much, Pamela! Philomath is about an hour and a half away from me right now, but I have thought of buying an existing business as a way to break into the industry.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:36 PM
Power Poster

It's very hard to run a small business for profit, when more and more customers are buying online. Good luck to you. If you decide to take it on, you're much braver than me.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:19 PM
Power Poster

​A few years back a shop owner said the outlay to stock some basic fabrics was substantial. Do you have money to burn?
Old 02-22-2019, 03:22 PM

I love fabric, but I buy alot on line. I do know that the quilts shops in my area offer classes which pull in customers. Would you be able to offer classes? that would be a plus
Old 02-22-2019, 03:28 PM

As a former owner the profit in a Quilt shop is selling machnes. Fabric does not do it well because of shipping cost etc. But I wish you luck in you endeavor.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-23-2019 at 04:12 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 02-22-2019, 04:59 PM

I've never owned a shop, but I can tell you some of the things that would draw me in. A good selection of fabrics of course. A good selection of classes - of techniques, use of machines, basics. Gadgets, and demos of how they are used. Knowledgeable and helpful staff. I'm not totally price driven, but a bargain section or loyalty program is a big plus.

I hope you're able to get your business off the ground.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:31 PM

As someone who has run a small business (non retail) for better than 30 years, my best advice is to ease into it slowly. As has been mentioned, the monetary outlay to open a store is considerable. I would start by selling online even if you have to lease a storage area for your inventory. Work with the public for a while and see how you like it. Not everyone you deal with will be nice or even civil. Don't quit your day job until you are making enough money to be able to support yourself. A small retail establishment can not turn a profit for a year after opening. Bank all the money you make while you are still working at your regular job to reinvest in your inventory.

We started our business out of necessity (no jobs in the area, but my husband had a really good reputation in his field and could get some work). It was a hard road and not just for the first few years. It was rough for the first 10 years. Very up and down and not much security or stability and a whole lot of work. In the end, it has turned out to be a great deal for us, but it's definitely not for everyone. There's a lot of stress and a lot of work and when you are in it alone, it will be even harder.