Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Digital cutter best for fabric? >

Digital cutter best for fabric?

Digital cutter best for fabric?

Old 03-28-2019, 07:00 AM

Default Digital cutter best for fabric?

Which digital cutter do you feel is best to cut out applique? I tried doing a search on the board but all I see are blank posts so something is not working right for me. I am gravitating towards the Cricut Maker. My hands hurt if I cut with scissors too long so anything that helps would be appreciated. Would those that have experience with digital cutters kindly offer an opinion?
Old 03-28-2019, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

I have used some before but don't own one. Most I know started out with the Cricut machine. I have used the ScanNCut and the Silhouette. I couldn't tell any difference in the cutting. I think you will like either one.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:27 AM

I like my scanncut because no computer needed. It's a lot easier to just scan your pieces in
Old 03-28-2019, 08:29 AM

Good information I have been doing reserach on this very topic. Have not yet formed a conclusion.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:51 AM

Good idea to do your research on the machines as they all have different features. I have the Scan N Cut wireless. Love it! So many options with on-line designs for cutting too.

PS: If you re-fresh your browser window on the empty posts, they should show up for you.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

the posts show blank at times. problem. just click on the curved arrow upper left of screen to refresh/reload the page. then text should show up.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:13 PM

I have both the Silhouette Cameo and the Accuquilt Go Big (electric). The Cameo needs a computer connection, but you can draw your own or download designs. The major draw back is that you must use either Terial Magic or a paperback fusible to cut only one layer at a time. works great for appliques but I find it not usable for piecework. The Accuquilt is my go to--it's what I use a lot since I mostly do piecework.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:53 AM

I have heard that the Janome Artistic 15" is great. I think there is a program on The Quilt Show, where one of their guests shows how she uses it to cut fabric exclusively. https://www.heidiproffetty.com/blog/...utting-machine is a link to her article on digital cutters, use and what to look for when purchasing.
Old 03-30-2019, 03:55 AM

Default Digital Cutters

Originally Posted by sandrab64 View Post
Which digital cutter do you feel is best to cut out applique? I tried doing a search on the board but all I see are blank posts so something is not working right for me. I am gravitating towards the Cricut Maker. My hands hurt if I cut with scissors too long so anything that helps would be appreciated. Would those that have experience with digital cutters kindly offer an opinion?
Sandra,
I don't think anyone can answer what you need or what will work best for you. I have summoned what models I have and how they work for me, plus a little about the different of each.
Brother Scan n cut 650, It is a stand alone machine, wireless, and my embroidery machine can read the software and sew what has been cut. saves a lot of time. It does require a special cutting mat for fabric and I have found if I starch it a lot it does a lot better. You can scan your design and cut it. I have used it with cotton fabric, demin, leather and card stock. Also, brother has a memory stick that you can purchases if you want to store lots of designs. Cost about $650 and a new machine is out, but I haven't used it. Works great for me on fabric.
Cricut maker, requires a computer or laptop. It has a special rotary cutter blade that works great on fabric, I haven't used it on leather. If you want designs, you have to subscribe to design space for about $9.99 a month or you are very limit to designs. I believe it stores everything in the cloud. Again, it requires special mats and blades. Both are good machines. The cost is about $400, but I saw where hsn.com has the complete package for about $400. That would save about $100 on accessories.
On very thin fabric and if I don't want any fusible on back, I have iron freezer paper on back and it has helped on both machines. But, be sure and try it before you cut any fabric.
Accuquilt Go and Go Big. I have both machines and they are great. The Go, you have to turn a crack and your shoulder will be tired after a hour or so. Plus I had problems with it wanting to move around, so I have to put a mat under it. Cost about $300 to $350, plus dies and mat.
The Go Big, is electric an a wonderful machine. Worth the cost if you are planning on doing lots of quilts or applique. It cost about $600 plus dies and mat.
Dies are expensive, but are of good quality. They start about $30 and goes up to abt. $350 for the Qube. The Qube has several dies to make the size block you want. Again, I starch everything really good. Makes it crisp and easier to sew.
So, if someone ask me, what is best, depends on how much you want to spend on your hobby and how many times will you use it. Then do you have the space to store it??
I hope this helps you a little and good luck on your decision.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:38 AM

I love my Scan n Cut, its the CM550, the one before the wireless. Which is no big deal, I just save to a usb. Its fast and I don't have to invest in a bunch of dies to use it.