Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
machine stitch that looks like hand stitching >

machine stitch that looks like hand stitching

machine stitch that looks like hand stitching

Old 05-13-2019, 05:49 AM

Default machine stitch that looks like hand stitching

I saw a Fons & Porter show where the guest showed a stitch that looks like sashiko. She used monopoly on top and a thicker thread in the bobbin, and the stitch was five tiny stitches in the monopoly, and then it pulled up the bobbin thread for a long stitch on the top, resulting in a sashiko look. Does anyone know what machine stitch this is?
Old 05-13-2019, 11:35 AM

That's been on Pfaff machines for decades. Now it's on some other brands, I think. I have to look in my instruction manual for the name of the stitch.
The Babylock Sashiko machine makes an actual quilting stitch, without the clear thread stitch inbetween. I have one and love it for quilting small projects. I chalk on a stencil and follow it. This is not fast quilting, like longarm or fmq can be. It's a slower process, and the machine is like no other. It has no top thread at all, only uses a bobbin thread and the threading is also unique to that machine.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:44 AM

On my Pfaff Tiptronic 2040 there are two, and they are called Quilting Stitch No. 11 and Quilting Stitch No. 15.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
That's been on Pfaff machines for decades. Now it's on some other brands, I think. I have to look in my instruction manual for the name of the stitch.
The Babylock Sashiko machine makes an actual quilting stitch, without the clear thread stitch inbetween. I have one and love it for quilting small projects. I chalk on a stencil and follow it. This is not fast quilting, like longarm or fmq can be. It's a slower process, and the machine is like no other. It has no top thread at all, only uses a bobbin thread and the threading is also unique to that machine.
I have the Sashiko Babylock also and LOVE IT! Well worth the cost which in my opinion compared to other machines was very reasonable
Old 05-13-2019, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by carol45 View Post
I saw a Fons & Porter show where the guest showed a stitch that looks like sashiko. She used monopoly on top and a thicker thread in the bobbin, and the stitch was five tiny stitches in the monopoly, and then it pulled up the bobbin thread for a long stitch on the top, resulting in a sashiko look. Does anyone know what machine stitch this is?
I think if you look for a you tube on how to use domestic machine to create sashiko stitch...I bet a ton of them will come up
Old 05-13-2019, 05:58 PM

Some Bernina machines have that stitch. It doesn't look as good in person as it does in the video. The monopoly really shows.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:29 PM

What's monopoly? Is it a clear thread?
Robin in Texas
Old 05-14-2019, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by rob529 View Post
What's monopoly? Is it a clear thread?
Robin in Texas
Yes, FYI it's pronounced mono-poly. You can look it up at Superior Threads.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:52 PM
Power Poster

There is a YouTube video of the stitch on a Bernina. It is done by high tension on the top to pull the bobbin thread to the top and the clear thread is between the bobbin thread. It makes the quilt sandwich squished down because the tension is so high.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:01 PM

Singer has what they call a 'bean stitch' on some of their models. i tried it a few years ago, and decided against it. it made a beautiful hand stitched look on top, but on the back it had little knots behind every stitch. i didn't have time to play with it, but maybe if i had i'd have liked it better. Shop staff didn't know much about it at the time.