Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with Bobbin Tension >

Help with Bobbin Tension

Help with Bobbin Tension

Old 05-20-2019, 02:06 PM

Post Help with Bobbin Tension

Hello,

I'm started sewing on a binding to a baby quilt by using the walking foot as it seems to glide along. My problem is the bobbin tension off, there's a lot of loops of thread underneath of the binding, which I removed. What should the tension be at?

Thank you

Chery
Old 05-20-2019, 02:11 PM

Adjusting tension really does start with the bobbin but without a gauge you probably won'd know it that's set correctly. Does your machine have a bobbin case or does the bobbin just drop in?

To adjust the upper tension to match the bobbin tension, this is the rule. When there are loops on the bottom of your sewing it means that the upper tension is too loose. Turn the upper tension to a higher number.

If the loops are on the top of your sewing it means that the upper tension is too tight. Turn the upper tension to a lower number.

Now, if the tension is okay during your normal sewing, just turn the upper tension back to whatever number you had it at before doing the binding.

I hope that helps.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:48 PM
Power Poster

My first thoughts would be that perhaps the machine is not threaded right.

I would re-thread both top and bottom and see what happens before adjusting the tension.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:56 PM

Yes, that helps, thank you Jean.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

Remember, the pressure foot must be down when you turn the tension dial or it won't work right.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:45 AM

First check, always, when loops on bottom is to check the take up lever....can't tell you how many times older Janomes had this problem....but other brands do too. When I was in a class one day, I heard a ladies machine and then her saying a few choice words...."my ......machine is messing up"....I immediately called out to her....Check your take up lever, has your thread slipped out.....she said yes. Janome finally started putting a little lock clip on the take up lever and it keeps the thread in.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
Adjusting tension really does start with the bobbin but without a gauge you probably won'd know it that's set correctly. Does your machine have a bobbin case or does the bobbin just drop in?

To adjust the upper tension to match the bobbin tension, this is the rule. When there are loops on the bottom of your sewing it means that the upper tension is too loose. Turn the upper tension to a higher number.

If the loops are on the top of your sewing it means that the upper tension is too tight. Turn the upper tension to a lower number.

Now, if the tension is okay during your normal sewing, just turn the upper tension back to whatever number you had it at before doing the binding.

I hope that helps.
nanna-up-north, this is from a nanna down south, and this is the clearest explanation for adjusting tension that I have ever read or heard. I was a career woman for years and just tried to sew sporadically, and if the tension messed up, eventually I would just buy another machine. Do not ask how many machines are stored in my house. Now, even though I have pieced quilts for several years, if the tension messes up, it is back to the dealer if go. Finally, I feel as if I have at least an idea about how to adjust the tension and can fix the machines that are in "dry dock" because of tension problems. THANK YOU!!!