Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Playing with scraps, can be fun. >

Playing with scraps, can be fun.

Playing with scraps, can be fun.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:53 AM

Default Playing with scraps, can be fun.

Just thought I'd share a fun scrap project.
I've been pushing myself to finish another "The Square Dancers" quilt and it is finished. 3 done 2 more to go. Won't go into detail because I've already done so before. This has been a work in progress for about 5 or 6 years! Because of the intenseness of this I needed a time out and have been playing with 5"x2" scraps.
I've previously sewn 3 strips together with a light one in the middle and either dark or medium on the sides. Today I've sewn 4 sets together alternating the placement by having the first one horizontal and 2nd one vertical, and visa versa on the 2nd row of the block. This is a very easy rail fence pattern. The name is Roman Square Quilt by Janet Wickell on About.com quilting.

There are two other patterns I've cut scraps for but I'll save those to share for a later date.
I always have precut scraps and some sort of pattern in mind to use them and have them available in a stack to sew intermittingly in between projects, leader enders, for sleepless nights, to get me going etc.
I'm very surprised how quickly the blocks are to make and love how its coming together. I do not brown bag scrap quilt. I love to check for complementary colors that work well with each other and sew them together creating a pleasant looking combination. (for me anyway). This will end up being a fun quilt and I'm happy that the use of scraps can be so rewarding. Happy scraping to those of you who enjoy this use of fabrics!
Old 06-10-2019, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

​I also love scrap quilts and look forward to seeing yours.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:33 AM

I agree about scrap quilts. I love to make string quilts with my scraps. They are so easy to make. I love all the color.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:38 AM

Here is a better place to find this quick and easy pattern. I did not use the strip piece method. Used some of my many many scraps. https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/roman-square-quilt-block-pattern-2821209

Old 06-11-2019, 03:36 AM

I am a scrapper too! I love making them and it is fun to see how many of us really enjoy our scraps.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:10 AM

I love scrap quilts but my scraps are called crumbs. Anything into which I can get a seam is used. And I do seams that are just over 1/8 inch. I start with the smallest two crumbs and sew them together. Find or make a straight side and sew another small crumb to that. After that, larger pieces are used. Leftover small triangles work well as do strips of any length. Squares don't work as well, but on the top I am working on now, I started making strips from a whole row of small squares. Looks wonderful. Most of my seams are not 90º. If the new edge is 90º, I twist the ruler a bit and "crooked" it.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:53 AM

I love looking at others' scrap quilts, but my imagination totally goes out the window when I try it.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:30 PM

I love to do scrap quilts but I seem to want to match colors so I really have to throw that idea away and just go for it.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:57 AM

Scraps are great! I love finding "more" fabric for "free"
Old 06-12-2019, 04:44 AM

It seems for the last few years I make more scrappy quilts than anything else! All the years of saving scraps pays off for these beauties. Right now I am doing the scrappy double Irish Chain from this site. I am sure I have more than 100 lbs of scraps sitting out right now as I cut and prepare for this quilt. One of the nice things is the memories of the many quilts that I have made over the years with the fabrics in the big bin. I recently started teaching my 7 yr old grand daughter some very basic quilting projects. The scraps are a great way to let her be involved in fabric choices. This is something she really likes to do. Larger scraps are great for teaching with. I do love t he scraps!