Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tin Lizzie >

Tin Lizzie

Tin Lizzie

Old 06-29-2019, 08:57 AM

Default Tin Lizzie

Are Tin Lizzie's good machines? I need reviews from real people like you.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:16 AM

I have an Innova. To me there is no comparison. I'm sorry I don't know much about Tin Lizzie. Maybe owners of them can provide input.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:29 AM

I love my Tin Lizzie, it fit my budget, but I have never used any other long arm. I started with a short arm. I have Q-Bot with mine, and love that I can set it to do pantos while I do other things in the room.
Old 06-29-2019, 12:26 PM

I have had a basic Tin Lizzie for several years. My dad also has one. Between the two of us, we have had our share of problems. It is very picky about what thread you use on top. I have found that it likes Glide thread and I have less thread breakage with it. Less, but still sometimes a problem. I have had tension problems for a couple of years but if I only use glide thread, there are very few spider webs on the back. My machine has also had a problem in recent years with racing when it gets warmed up. When I have been quilting for a while, stop for a minute and restart, it stitches a hundred miles an hour for a few seconds, often breaking the thread. I called customer service and they referred me to a repairman who had to call them. They told him to have me spray canned air on the circuit board. This was a great temporary fix but it has started doing it again.
My dad's machine has tension and thread breakage problems. Also, he is having trouble with his circuit board. He ordered a new one and tried to replace it himself. They sent the wrong one so he is waiting for them to send another.
There are very few people around that repair them. I live in Atlanta area and have to have someone come from Tennessee.
I realize that the machines are much less expensive and you get what you pay. My husband bought me this machine to do quilts for others but it has not proven to be reliable enough to do that but it has been helpful to quilt my own quilts.
Also, our machines are nearly 10 years old and their quality might have improved since then.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:55 PM

Feathers and Fur how long have you had yours? I have a chance to buy a Queen Quilter 18 Tin Lizzie. It is about 10 years old, no bells and whistle, nothing computerized but something I can afford. Any advice?
Old 06-29-2019, 02:11 PM

I paid $3000 on sale, new, about 3 years ago. The frame was $2000 and Qbot $4500. I bought them one at a time. Still paying on the Qbot
Old 06-29-2019, 02:20 PM

Also, mine likes cheap thread. I use mainly Connecting Threads cotton or Coats and Clark from Joann’s. When I’ve tried other threads that people on here mention, it has issues. I’m ok with $3 for 3300 yards at Connecting Threads.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:40 PM

I have a Tin Lizzie 18. Had a few learning curves My stitch regulator doesn't work but I found out my sisters grandson
dropped it and that was probably the problem. Didn't get it fixed ,just use manual. Thread was breaking but needed to lower the presser foot some. It does love glide thread. I also buy pre wound bobbins. It sews like a dream now. I have had it about 15 years.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:15 PM

I'm sorry to say that every Tin Lizzie owner I've met has been fairly unhappy with the machine. Those who are my personal friends upgraded to Innovas and haven't looked back.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:34 AM
mkc

Tin Lizzie is no more.

The new company name is Locksmith Lizzie.

I cannot find details on what else may or may not have changed.