Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: tin lizzie 18 problems

Is anyone else having the same or similer problems with their tin lizzie 18. My mother is practically devistated. She has had her's for almost a year. Absolutley loves it, but the stitch regulator has gone out 4 times, and other minor problems, the company has given her a hard time from the beginning saying it was her house, starting out blaming it on static electricity, to now blaming it on her wiring in the house. She has put humidifiers in the house, a static pad to stand on when she quilts, touches metal before she touches the machine to discharge herself, and still no luck.

(She can do about 5 quilts and then the machine has a problem, has it fixed and the same .... it's always about 5 quilts and then something happens)

She just told me a week ago that when they were replacing the stitch regulators they were sending rebuilt ones not new ones. So makes me wonder!!!!

The company finally consent to send her a new machine to see if it was their machine and now she is blowing fuses with this new machine. So the company continues to blame the wiring in the house. She has had the power company check the lines to the house from the outside pole and an electrician check the house and even run a special wire specifically from the braker box to the room she is long arm quilting in.

My mother has 4 other Baby loc sewing machines and has had no other problems in the home with TV's or other electronic equipment. Anyone having the same troubles with Tin Lizzy? She loves the machine and is wanting this as a hobby and not wanting to give it up she really loves it, but she is sick over the troubles she is having.

I do not have a long arm machine (I would love to have one) but it sounds to me like she may be getting racked over the coals. I hope she has better luck because quilting as a hobby should not turn into a job you despise because of a machine giving you problems. I will be sure to stay away from that brand if and when I start hunting for a long arm machine.

I'm sorry for her problems, wonder where it was purchased? I saw this company at a recent quilt show http://secretworkshop.com/home.php?xid=dc4cb8659634370c880e3fb6a68e91c1 It looks like they may be having a forum on their site soon. Is there any tin lizzy18 discussion forums that you've found?

Bev
    8) I'm sure glad you wrote in about this. I had thoughts about the
    Tin Lizzie, but will steer clear of them now. Life is too short to even take a chance on a machine like this. There are lots of other brands out there.

HI, I just joined this list, been looking at the news letter for a few weeks. I got a Tin Lizzie in March. I have had very few problems, have quilted 7 tops and so far I have been thrilled. I have been using the stitch regulator for all of them. What can I say? I wish things were better for your mom. Is she working directly with the factory or a specific dealer?

i also have the tin lizzie and have never had a problem. when i had some questions in the beginning regarding thread, i called them directly on the phone and they walked me right through it. later i had a problem with the stitching (not the regulator) and again they solved it over the phone. that was 5 - 6 quilts quilts ago. no problems since then. i'm really sorry about your mom. this was a machine i recommended but now i'll think twice. what did her own repairman have to say?

I also have a Tin Lizzie....the old cast iron one and I have never had the kind of problems your mother has. In my case, I am constantly tinkering with the thread tension. I have always found the Tin Lizzie people to be very accomodating when I have called them with a problem.

Hope your mom gets this straightened out.

Hi, I have a Tin Lizzie 18, the older, heavy one, purchased second hand about a year ago. The machine had been back to the company for service before I bought it. I've quilted at least 25 quilts since I've had the machine. I used the stitch length regulator for a while and it worked fine. Then the little tiny plug-in under the top layer of the carraige kept coming unpluged. When this happens , in stitch-regulated mode, the machine goes crazy! This is not an easy thing to remedy, the machine has to be taken off the carraige- it weighs 95 pounds and I'm old.
    I was all ready to call the company but thought I'd try to finish the quilt I was working on without the regulator. I did fine without it, I don't need it! Maybe I will call and order new encoders/plugs after the holidays but it isn't a big thing to me.
    I hope you get your Lizzie up and running soon.
    Mary

On another forum one Tin Lizzie owner does have several problems with his machine.

Regarding it being the electricity in the house, the easiest way to know if you do indeed have an electric problem is do you blow a lot of lightbulbs? If you turn on a light and it blows out right at that moment, that is usually an indication of a grounding problem because the bulb has gotten a surge causing it to blow. Now if the bulb just goes out while it's on, then the bulb just up and died.

Now, if you really want to shut up the techs at Tin Lizzie, put the machine on a battery back up unit. These can cost between $60 to $150 or more, but a battery back up will take care of any electrical problems coming from the wall.

If you have your machine on a surge protector, plug the machine into the plug nearest the source of power. Do not plug in any other power hungry appliance to the same surge protector or wall outlet, i.e. iron, sewing machine, fan, etc. I have my HQ16 on a surge protector and the only other thing plugged into that protector is a 60 watt lamp and I have nothing else plugged into that wall outlet.

Have you had the electric company check the meter? Over time the meter can actually work loose and cause the house to have a "Low Amp Draw" even tho the electric company will tell you that does not exist. After replacing two freezers, refridgerator, and water heater it was found that my meter was loose on the pole. That is equivilent to being half plugged in. Not a good thing.

You may want to check the outlet for consistent power. Go to Radio Shack and get a cheap ($10) volt meter to check the outlet. Plug in the volt meter, and watch it for a few minutes to see if you get flucuation in power flow. It should read a constant 115, if it don't then you need to get an electrician that knows what they are doing.

Sorry for being so long winded and coming off as a "know it all" but I have a masters in electronics and bachelors in computer science and repair. Also had my own computer company for 15 years, kinda ticks me off when techs try to throw blame when they don't know what the situation is.

Good luck and keep me posted on your progress.

Here in Florida, the power supply is so crappy that things like tvs and electronics blow out all the time, but the light bulbs are just fine. If your electrician and power company both tested and cleared that circuit, it has got to be the equipment.

Sounds like something else on that machine is making the stitch regulator go out.

Crashnquilt- I was thinking the same thing- surge suppressor with nothing else on it. Back up system- another good idea. We use them on our computers, probably a good idea for all of us since we invest good money in our sewing machines.

Barb

Any updates on the problems with the tin lizzie...have the issues been resolved yet?

:cry: I have just bought a tin lizzie and have had some problems.... I think it may be the stitch regulator also ... the lady I bought it from is going to talk to the main company sence it is under her warenty and see if it can get fixed... I hope so cuz I also just love it... I call her other names though right now using it without it....... works like a charm...
    but I am not happy about it

I have a TL18LS w/Shirley Sticher. The 9 pin comes unpluged in the middle of a quilt and it's like Shirley is on drugs. Called the company and they blame Grace for the design and Grace blames them. BFF has one and the motor freezes up. She call the company and they told her to hit it with a hammer. Go figure. Wish I had never purchased this machine. Also, purchased designs off web, Shirley will not convert. Call Tin Lizzie in Utah 2 months ago with problem. Still can't use these patterns. Ready to get a atty and send this machine back. Local dealer no help. Knows nothing about the computer side of the machine.

Checking the voltage at the receptacle and a surge protector as already posted is what I would do.

With that checked off it's the machine, the electrical systems are real cheap, no relays, no nothing, meaning that if button/light/wire goes bad it messes up the whole thing.

The hard part is finding the bad part, there's no way to know where to start.

You have to make it clear that you're not going away until it is fixed, whatever that entails.

Some company's are better than others.

BTW I don't own TL so take this post for whatever you think it's worth.
    Good Luck.

Blog Entries
    With the quilting business being a billion dollar industry in the past few years, many companies have jumped on the band wagon offering these home quilting setups.. Pure marketing, find a well known quilter, offer a generous name endorsement and sell while the iron is hot. I think the market is saturated with home type LA system and now after use many are showing how fast and cheap they were manufactured.

I have had my tin lizzie since July. !st issue came from factory with defected encoder plug (regulates stitch regulator). 2. Problem came from factory with the wheels misplaced on the carriage. Wheels were grating into the metal roller bar, metel shavings going into my encoder messing up my stitching. 3. Problem electical wiring issues with the nine pin cables going to handle bars causing none of the buttons to work, but yet all the lights where on.. 4. Machine motor fresszing up. 5. Loud clicking noise in the front of my machine. 6. Clicking noise in the white box where power supply is. 7. Problem the needle will not stop unless I turn off all power supply. 8. My frame is factory defected according to my dealer. I have issues with all three bars as well as the top bars when adjusting up and down they are very difficut to adjust up to allow your quilt to roll up, but then in the middle of quilting the side bars will just fall down. I quilt at least 2 quilts a week. I would strongly recommend to anyone wishing to buy a long arm machine to avoid tin lizzie. As of today none of my issues have been resolved and I am to the point of asking for a refund.

After following up with the owner of tin lizzie today, I just want you all to know that he told me that he would refund the store their money for my tin lizzie and the store that I bought if from would have to refund me. After talking with the store owner ( dealer) she stated that the owner of Tin lizzie had a NO REFUND Policy and that she did not have the money to refund me. I told her that is not the same information that the owner of Tin Lizzie gave me....so as the day went forward it ended up in a three way conversation. The owner of TIn lizzie backed down and LIED, and revoked his previous statement and further stated that TIN lizzie will only refund the cost with in a 30 day period. The dealer evidendely made comments as to my lack of knowledge....tried to make me sound like an idiot and of course did not back up any of my issues that had been reported to her. The dealer will not refund the money at any point after the sale. After all conversations lizzie did agree to send me a new machine a new computer and a new frame. As well as the same dealer who has been very poor....to set it up. Not only did the dealer loose a good customer but so did TIn Lizzie. You folks who do purchase your Tin Lizzie like me who was very excited to have a long arm machine and wanted it to work remember if you have any issues with in those thirty days and your dealer does not repair them you really need to go to the manufacturer and get a refund...before you are stuck with a 12000.00 headache.

love your dog I have 6 yorkshire terriers...
    so you have the newer machine and it still messes up with you? mine is just 5 years old but still having troubles with it lucky the local dealer will come to the house and work with me but has a long list... anyway we will see if he can get her up and running .... she has her quirks... when changing quilts........

I Love my Tin Jizzie Machine , Could not libe without it . It's a Dream come true I can't imagine not Having the Ansley 28 in my life . The Staff at Tin Lizzy have been Great can't ask for better service . Surly this problem has to have been resolved after all it was back years ago and Now the Tin Lizzy is the greatest Affordable Long Arm on the Market I really can not say enough about the Machine to give it the praise it deserves . I would recomend buying the TinLizzy Quilting Machine over and beyound all the rest . Believe me when I say I have tried just about all that are on the market Tin Lizzy wins hands down Affordable and reliable Staff is great and on top of any guestions you have , they are their to help . They really care about their coustomers . I think this negative posting should be removed after all people look at the date . One bad Apple does not spoil the whole bunch . If your in the Market for a Quilting Machine you can not go wrong with TinnLizzy ,They are like Family once you own their machine you will love it Also .

Blog Entries
    I have a Lizzie and have had no problems with her at all. I felt that I could use better connection with the power cord..and the stitch regulator cord..so while at a show I talked to Ernie and he sent them to me the next week. He sent them at no cost. I have called them several times and asked questions..always so helpful. I am so sorry you are having problems. Ernie even gave me his father Bill's private number. He is a very cordial and helpful person.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicktoria
    I Love my Tin Jizzie Machine , Could not live without it . It's a Dream come true I can't imagine not Having the Ansley 26 in my life . The Staff at Tin Lizzy have been Great can't ask for better service . Surly this problem has to have been resolved after all it was back years ago and Now the Tin Lizzy is the greatest Affordable Long Arm on the Market I really can not say enough about the Machine to give it the praise it deserves . I would recomend buying the TinLizzy Quilting Machine over and beyound all the rest . Believe me when I say I have tried just about all that are on the market Tin Lizzy wins hands down Affordable and reliable Staff is great and on top of any guestions you have , they are their to help . They really care about their coustomers . I think this negative posting should be removed after all people look at the date . One bad Apple does not spoil the whole bunch . If your in the Market for a Quilting Machine you can not go wrong with TinnLizzy ,They are like Family once you own their machine you will love it Also .

Blog Entries
    I absolutely love the Tin Lizzie. It is the finest machine in this price range. The Grace table is extremely well built and stable. The Shirley Stitcher is fantastic. I can do a queen size quilt in less than 2 hours. You do need to keep up with the updates which makes your machine a step better each time. The front band must be kept tight, no give. The new encoders should be put on. Make sure all screws are tight. This machine should not vibrate is everything is correct. It is a thing of pure joy and beats the last one hands down. The people are great to work with and go to great lengths to make you happy. It's a winner!

I'm looking to buy a lizzie ath the upcoming Houston show...Are your mom's problems fixed??

I've had the same problems with the lizzie as you have. Anything the owner says is apt to be wrong. I do have a fairly good dealer and the repairman has been out several times but calling Greg or Ernie at the company number is useless.They usually won't call you back and if once out of 10 messages they
    do they'll tell you its your fault. When Greg did return one call I told him what the machine was doing and he said that was too bad because he had two perfect machines sitting right there and he didn't know what my problem was. I also had trouble with the frame they sold me, the take up lever would unroll
    when I tried to tighten the backing. I called the Grace Company who makes it and they told me they had trouble with that and sent me new parts. They were very nice

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast