Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problems with Tin Lizzie 18 DS >

Problems with Tin Lizzie 18 DS

Problems with Tin Lizzie 18 DS

Old 10-22-2011, 02:56 PM

My Tin Lizzie isn't working properly. DH and I have worked and worked. When you push start and start to move it won't do anything. Any ideas? In the past I have not been successful in contacting Tin Lizzie for help- I have called and left messages and emailed no response. Is their customer service always so bad? Hope I don't regret buying this.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:16 PM
Power Poster

It sounds like you are using the stitch regulator. Are all the cables connected? Do the encoder wheels rotate as you move the quilter? Does it stitch OK in manual mode? I get all my info from my vendor, so I can't speak about the customer service directly from the company. There is a tin lizzie group on yahoo that has good info.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:29 PM
Power Poster

When I checked the tin lizzie out I was guaranteed the best customer service when ever I had any questions or problems. I have heard from a lot of tin lizzie owners that once you buy it, the great customer service is no where around. Your experience is enough to make me stay far away from this machine.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:32 PM

When you turn it on the needle should go down and come back up. Then you are ready to hit start. Check that nothing is hangin up your cords. Check your oil. Retiread and it should go. Are you working with or without the Shirley Stitcher? Oil will hold up the machine so make sure you have oiled it totally.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:26 PM

I have had problems with mine also. Mine would race when I started moving it and then slow down. They always returned my messages and emails, but sometimes it took a few days for them to answer. I hope you get the help you need soon!
Old 10-22-2011, 05:42 PM

Did you purchase it from a local dealer? If so, start with them. I bought mine in March and when I had a problem a few months back my dealer contacted Tin Lizzie, and they called me right away and walked me through fixing the problem. The problem I had sounds like the same you are having - when I'd turn it on and move it, nothing would happen. I have 2 sets of handles and had disengaged the front handles so I could do a pantograph using the back handles. But they weren't responding at all. Turns out one of the pins in the 9-pin connector had gotten bent flat so wasn't making connection. Easy to fix and I was up and running again!
Old 12-25-2011, 10:54 AM

Sounds like good information from Kerry.

What I love about the Tin Lizzie is that the consumer can make adjustments etc. without having a service tech come out. There is so much information on the Yahoo group for Tin Lizzie and there are Tin Lizzie YouTube videos on how to service it. It does have an enclosed circuit board that you can't service, that is a company repair or replacement.

You can contact the machine company for assistance. Sometimes Greg, a tech from Wisconsin will be the one to call you to help. He is very helpful.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:12 PM

Sounds like your encoders. I had that problem with mine a while back. Is it happening when it goes right to left or up and down or both? I first got new encoder wires and that was not the problem so they sent new encoders and have not had a problem since. Before you do all that make sure your rails are clean. My local dealer ordered the parts for me, the machine is under warranty.

I understand that they are having a problem with the belts freying too. If you ask they will send you a new belt for free.

Marge at the yahoo group is a great help too. If you have not joined here's the link.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TinLizzieLongarm/