Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrim goes to top or bottom >

Scrim goes to top or bottom

Scrim goes to top or bottom

Old 07-09-2019, 03:54 AM

Default Scrim goes to top or bottom

Just saw an ad from Overstock on Pellon 80/20 with scrim that may be a good deal. But I can Never remember if the side with the scrim faces the quilt top or the backing. This time I'll print out the answer and keep it by the quilting frame. Thanks again ladies!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-09-2019 at 05:10 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 07-09-2019, 07:33 AM

Here’s a good explanation
https://suzyquilts.com/right-side-to-quilt-batting/
Old 07-09-2019, 08:46 AM

I went and read the suzyquilts explanation. My experience with Warm & Natural was totally reversed. I put this note in my phone because of a really bad tufting problem, otherwise known as bearding, that occurred on one of my quilts that I quilted on my long arm.

This is what I go by!

This particularly applies to W&N - The smooth with very little surface definition or texture lays against the wrong side of the backing fabric. The Scrim which has bumpy, needling holes visible with specks of seeds or stems goes to the back side of the pieced quilt top. If you put this batting in backwards, it pulls little tufts out of all the needle holes on the top, and you cannot get rid of them.

In retrospect, I really should have ripped all that quilting out and redid the quilt. I still have that one because I am not going to be giving it to anyone in it's condition.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:42 PM

Post #7 in this thread is the one I've printed and put on the wall by my sewing machine: Warm and natural Batting

I haven't had any issues in following the instructions in the graphic.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:51 AM

I remember by thinking "bump up" when laying out the batting.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:33 AM

Aggh, Suzy Quilts and the other posts are saying opposite rules, even in my sewing room I found notes to myself about batting and one says bumpy side is bottom, put against backing, the other says bumpy side is right side, put against top.
I use Warm & Natural and Pellon, have been putting bumpy side against backing for years, haven't had a problem with bearding. I do FMQ on all my quilts. But I'm certainly not an expert, maybe I'm doing it wrong and have been lucky?
Old 07-10-2019, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

I have used Warm and Natural in small projects like potholders and such so never really paid attention to the scrim side. I use Hobbs batting for quilts and never had a problem with what side goes up or down.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:13 AM

I have been quilting since the 70's and never had a problem. Not sure why it really makes a difference which way it goes sine the needle goes up and down thru the fabric and the batting on both sides. If I had a problem with it bearding I would definitely blame it on the batting not being of good quality.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:58 AM

Uh oh. I've used Warm & Natural a few times -- I usually use poly batting -- and now do not remember knowing or paying attention to which side went where. All those quilts were given away so I have no idea if tufts are coming out the needle holes.

Too late now. But I'm glad to have this information for the future.