Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using Glue >

Using Glue

Using Glue

Old 07-14-2019, 01:54 PM

Default Using Glue

The next time I bind, I’m going to glue it first. Everything I’ve seen and read says to iron the glue. Is that to set it into the fibers or to dry it or both? Also, anyone know where I can find one of the metal glue tips? I don’t want to buy 40 plastic bottles with cheap plastic tips that Amazon has.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-14-2019 at 02:51 PM. Reason: remove copyright pic, should have used link
Old 07-14-2019, 02:00 PM
Power Poster

May I ask why gluing is necessary? I fold mine over, no clips or pins, and just readjust, whether by hand or machine. I used to pin, but, it became hard to manage, always moving a pin. It went faster just folding over. I am not extremely coordinated. I think the ironing is to dry it. I had a hard time getting a pin through the glue with hand sewing. Not with machine sewing. works great. I glue baste my quilts. I don't iron, just let dry.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:02 PM

What the heck are you reading?? I've never heard to glue the binding.

I recommend not ironing the binding in half before attaching it to the quilt. Your fabric will fold over much nicer and lay better on the quilt if you don't.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:33 PM

Susan Schamber glue bastes her quilts in a video and they come out beautifully. I've used the method and it works great but don't get the glue right up to the edge because you can't sew through it easily.
The ironing sets the glue.
With this method you can get your binding ruler straight.

Watson
Old 07-14-2019, 03:17 PM
Power Poster

I always fold my bindings in half and press. I never use glue on bindings.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
Susan Schamber glue bastes her quilts in a video and they come out beautifully. I've used the method and it works great but don't get the glue right up to the edge because you can't sew through it easily.
The ironing sets the glue.
With this method you can get your binding ruler straight.

Watson

And that's exactly what I need and want! I saw that video, too, and it convinced me to try it.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:01 PM

Hi, Libits
I watched Sharon Schamber's video years ago and have always done my bindings that way. I bought a Roxanne's Glue Baste It set with the metal tips included at a quilt shop. The empty bottle can be refilled with Elmers. For me the ironing helps dry the glue and also flattens out the quilt edge so you get a nice straight binding and perfect corners.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:03 PM

I don't know where the metal tips are but if you look in the craft paint section at J's, you'll find a packet of white plastic tips for paint. I found a 6 pack, not a single tip. Works great on Elmer's glue bottles, just screws on after taking off the lid.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by L'il Chickadee View Post
Hi, Libits
I watched Sharon Schamber's video years ago and have always done my bindings that way. I bought a Roxanne's Glue Baste It set with the metal tips included at a quilt shop. The empty bottle can be refilled with Elmers. For me the ironing helps dry the glue and also flattens out the quilt edge so you get a nice straight binding and perfect corners.
Perfect! Thank you Chickadee! And I'm so glad to know I'm not crazy (at least for today).