Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what color thread to use on this quilt for FMQ? >

what color thread to use on this quilt for FMQ?

what color thread to use on this quilt for FMQ?

Old 07-19-2019, 05:37 AM

Default what color thread to use on this quilt for FMQ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]614980[/ATTACH]

I am going to attempt my first experience with FMQ on this quilt. I am terrified I will do something wrong. What color top thread would you use on this project? block background colors are red and turquoise. I have been practicing on several scrap sandwiches to get the feel of my machine. I think I have the it down of not going too fast or too slow to keep my stitches even length. Is there a simple "pattern" (for lack of a better word) such as stippling or meander vs other designs to use for a beginner? Any input would be welcomed from other experienced quilters. Thanks so much!

I have quilting gloves, feed dogs dropped, etc. I am ready to go but afraid to get started without some advice from others.
Attached Thumbnails sunrom-couch-quilt-7-19-2019-70-dpi.jpg  
Old 07-19-2019, 05:41 AM

If you have any scraps of the fabric left, try sewing lines of different colors on one. Good luck!
Old 07-19-2019, 05:56 AM

When I look at this quilt of course I see what my own preference would be and that would be red. The turquoise would also be nice or a navy or dark blue would also set off this quilt. Best of luck with your first attempt at FMQ! It is a lot of fun.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:53 AM

I love the quilt, so "Navaho" looking. Have you auditioned different colors for the thread? I was wondering how a darker cream color would look, since it is in the print fabric.
A stipple would be probably one of the easiest, or loop de loops. No rules there. Keep in mind that FMQing the quilt is going to be considerably more challenging than the practice pieces, due to the weight/drag of the quilt.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:11 AM

It would depend a lot on what color the back is, for me. I prefer my stitching to blend in on the back.

edit

I'm seeing now that it looks like the dark blue at the top of the photo? In that case, I might go with a shade of gray. Gray seems to blend in with almost everything.

Last edited by joe'smom; 07-19-2019 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:38 AM

Thank you ladies for your replies. Yes the backing is blue...not really a color that goes with the front however it was the largest backing piece I had on hand. This quilt is a "couch blanket"...much smaller than a bed quilt. We built on a sunroom this year and I like to have a light weight blanket to cover my legs while watching tv in the sun room. I made matching pillows and coasters for the table in the sun room out of the Navajo fabric. So thought this blanket would fit right in with the decor.

Thanks again, I am so glad I can always count on the Quilting Board for great advice!
Old 07-19-2019, 11:12 AM

I like the idea of a dark color, blue, black, maybe charcoal?
Old 07-19-2019, 02:30 PM
Power Poster

I like FMQ in a larger meander/stipple type. That way you don't have to worry about consistant design. I would use a dark thread color.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:04 PM

I would think a "wind" swirl pattern would be good. The curves would balance the straight lines. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBgIGwQ8-Ik
Old 07-19-2019, 06:53 PM

By now, you probably have the quilting finished. What did you decide on for thread and design?