Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tell me I’m not alone bc my quilting is awful. >

Tell me I’m not alone bc my quilting is awful.

Tell me I’m not alone bc my quilting is awful.

Old 07-20-2019, 04:57 PM

Default Tell me I’m not alone bc my quilting is awful.

Ok ladies and gents, please please tell me I’m not alone here. I’m on my 10th quilt 🤦🏼*♀️ And my fmq and quilting in general is really...unsightly. Wonky, stitch lengths are all different, and did I mention wonky? I quilt on a Brother 1500 but I feel like I’m not improving at all. I don’t think my life’s problems would be solved with a mid arm but I am always so proud of my quilt tops and then they are essentially ruined by yucky quilting. Support and thoughts are very much welcome!!
Old 07-20-2019, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

Maybe try straight line quilting instead?
Old 07-20-2019, 05:09 PM

Its no help, but I know how you feel. Like bearisgray suggested, try some straight line quilting. But I can say probably no one is looking at it as close as you are. They probably honestly don't notice

What I have done is practiced on donation quilts. I know that sounds awful... you know donating what I don't like. But you have to learn somehow

I recently purchased a ruler foot for my sewing machine and a heart shaped ruler. And I am really really happy with how that is going.

Just today I got an order from amazon with another ruler ... I can't wait to try this one out.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:13 PM

You are not alone. I never figured out how to FMQ even half way presentable. Straight line, SID, was a lot better, but now that I'm a little old lady, I find tying is easiest and decent looking for the little quilts I make. Still having a great time quilting like crazy!
Old 07-20-2019, 05:24 PM

You are absolutely not alone! FMQ takes practice (as said by others) but more than even practice, I believe it takes "relaxing". I'm still "practicing" and I am improving although no way near what I would like. I do find, however, that I am fine until I start over thinking my FMQing. If I just quilt and not over think it, I seem to do better. Meyert is right! No one else will even notice that the stitches aren't all the same or that you quilted "outside the line". Be sure to not point out what you believe to be your mistakes.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:56 PM

As so many have already said, no you are not alone!

I have been doing fmq for many years both on my dsm and now on a sitdown longarm - and quite honestly there are many things that can contribute to a “no good, awful, very bad day” . As many years as i have been doing it i can still make a mess of things. Sometimes i am too tired, or rushed, or tense or not feeling very confident at all when i start. Sooner or later it works out, although sometimes later than sooner. But its ok!

Maybe try practicing on some small items first - and once they look like you think they should, then jump into something a little bigger. Try not to get discouraged and please try not to let too much time go by before you try again. For me waiting too long to “get back on the horse” is not a good plan.

I would imagine that everyone here feels your pain... do you have a quilting buddy who can be your “cheerleader” to get you over the hump? I am fortunate enough to have mine living right next door and it’s amazing what a few kind words and a rah-rah-rah can do when your confidence is nowhere to be found.

Please dont give up - those beautiful quilt tops need you!
Old 07-20-2019, 06:06 PM

I'm terrible at free motion quilting. I know I haven't practiced enough but for some reason I don't want to spend my life away "practicing" but want to get quilts finished & gifted. When I first started quilting I used stencils & that was very satisfying but I've gotten away from them. With stencils, even when you go off the line you never see it once the stencil markings are washed out. I want to try my hand at ruler quilting but again I know that it takes practice.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:30 PM

Free motion is not my forte. I love SITD, echo, cross-hatch, lines, angles, and I can do water/grass/cloud effects pretty good. I don't use a walking foot, and do it all with my regular, or my 1/4" foot. I use a lot of thin tape, and just go for it. I've tried and tried making loops, and swirls, and wavy do dads, but I just can't figure it out. I've decided, for now, I don't care, and how I quilt is good enough. I'm betting your quilt tops are not ruined. We are our own worst critics!
Old 07-20-2019, 06:45 PM
Power Poster

You have a good machine. But it takes a lot of practice. A lot. Keep at it. I mastered meander before I tried anything else. I use the same machine. Watch videos and practice even more. I kept at it because I wanted to do FMQ. I don’t like to do straight line quilting as my only option. I have toyed with the idea of a sit down mid arm but I am
convinced a different machine won’t improve my quilts g as much as more practice will. Again - practice practice practice!!!!
Old 07-20-2019, 07:01 PM

You are not alone. I've been trying the Tear Away pantographs from Urban Elementz. I've been playing with them and getting good results. They help me keep a good rhythm and that help with the stitches too. I have to really be careful or mine get wonky too. I use the 505 Basting Spray to hold them in place.