Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SKUNKED!! I know I am not alone

Wink SKUNKED!! I know I am not alone

Lastnight my dog got skunked! I am not sure he got hit directly but he sure does smell as does my back entry. Anyone have any good solutions?

I've heard the most effective product to use is douche. I do think it takes several baths, though, before the odor is totally gone. Not sure what to do about the back entry?

I have always heard a bath with tomato juice is the best. But have never known how practical that really is to do!!

Yes my son did use douche on his short haired dog he was embarrassed to buy it so I had to buy it for him! We have a spanial and she has longer hair it may take awhile! Ugg

I do have a can of tomato juice but heard it really doesn't work so not sure

When our spaniel was a pup, he tried to make friends with a skunk. I used 4 large cans of tomato juice on him, then two washes with dawn dish detergent followed by a final rinse. I did this outside using three galvanized tubs. It removed enough of the smell that he was allowed back in the house after him dried off.

No suggestions... just lots of memories of our dog and skunk various encounters. Hope you find something that works.

Quote Originally Posted by Up North View Post
    Lastnight my dog got skunked! I am not sure he got hit directly but he sure does smell as does my back entry. Anyone have any good solutions?
    Info on what works best:

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals...nking_dog.html

Power Poster
    ​There is a recipe on Google but I think it is 1/2 quart of hydrogen peroxide, 1/8 cup of baking soda and 1 tsp. dish soap. You mix it up, don gloves and work it into the animals coat right to the skin. If you have a long hair dog I think you would need to double the recipe?

Blog Entries
    I get a bowl,put soda in a gob,add a big squirt of Dawn dish soap,and pour in enough peroxide to make a slurry. I get my doggie all wet,pour and massage this stuff on her fur,rinse, and voila! I hope your beast learns to avoid the skunks. It took about 4 episodes,before she finally connected the dots and now avoids the problem.
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

Took my dog to the groomer. She has the wash station and products for this situation.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Years ago our border collie was skunked. We tried douche, tomato soup, tomato sauce, tomato juice, Dawn, you name it. Then I was advised by an elderly pet store owner to try gold Listerine. It worked like a charm. Ever since then we keep a bottle in our garage just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Feather3 View Post
    This works best. I tried everything on the internet when my dog got skunked.
    Sharyl

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by francie yuhas View Post
    I get a bowl,put soda in a gob,add a big squirt of Dawn dish soap,and pour in enough peroxide to make a slurry. I get my doggie all wet,pour and massage this stuff on her fur,rinse, and voila! I hope your beast learns to avoid the skunks. It took about 4 episodes,before she finally connected the dots and now avoids the problem.
    The peroxide/ baking soda/Original Dawn Dish is what has always worked for me. It may take several treatments to rid the worst of it.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I also heard that tomato juice was what worked. I was confronted with a skunk one morning but it just went off trotting down the street.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

My daughter was a vet tech for 15 years and they used baby shampoo and Hydrogen peroxide. Mix 50/50 and scrub for a long time.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

My entire life I have heard that tomato juice is the thing.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Thanks everyone I am going to try the peroxide, dish soap, baking soda first but for now he will get tied up outside (so he can not chase skunks) at night till he smells better.

I've heard a bath in ketchup works
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.

Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but chuckle when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Plain white vinegar diluted about 1/2 and 1/2 with water is about the easiest and cheapest solution. Pour vinegar solution on dog, shampoo dog, vinegar rinse again and then plain water rinse. Tomato juice does work but if your dog has any white, you'll have a partially pink dog.

I agree with Onebyone. Do the best you can & call a groomer. Much easier on you & the dog.

I've never tried this but my niece in Calif. just posted a picture of her dog with a very innocent look on his face.... anyway she says this really works for her. The bottle says Nature's Miracle Skunk Odor remover. Good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDhJwd9pkC4 I've never used this, but others I know say it works
    June

Blog Entries
    Don't know what to do for your dog, but I had to use either ammonia or hydro peroxide mixed with a little bit of water to wash down all the surfaces in the kitchen and utility porch after my sister hit the skunk with the broom that had got in. Mom was so mad at her that she got sent to my brothers for a couple of days, and I wasn't too happy with her either. Oh, yeah, and we had to throw out any food that was open in the cupboards and the frig.

First time I've seen it confirmed!

Quote Originally Posted by tesspug View Post
    My daughter was a vet tech for 15 years and they used baby shampoo and Hydrogen peroxide. Mix 50/50 and scrub for a long time.
    Years ago my cat was outside - on a leash - when a skunk happened by. He didn't get sprayed but his fur absorbed enough of the odor to need some sort of treatment. He got his one and only bath with baby shampoo. Worked like a charm ... but he wasn't real happy with me till he dried off.
    I imagine with the addition of hydrogen peroxide it would work really well.
    GrannyLady - Having too much fun dressing my grandaughters.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast