Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: SKUNKED!! I know I am not alone

Over the years our dear Molly managed to find her share of skunks. The peroxide/baking soda mixture worked very well. But never store any left over mixture because it can explode. If you have smell in the house, heat regular vinegar and put in the smelly area or wipe down the floor etc. Plain old sunlight will also help with the smell so rugs or animal beds should be washed/cleaned and dried in sunlight if possible.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
    I have always heard a bath with tomato juice is the best. But have never known how practical that really is to do!!
    My dog got skunked once and that's what I used. It works!
    Pat

I have experienced this. The peroxide/baking soda combo with dog shampoo works. You may have to repeat since he got a good hit. Good luck.

Skunk Off.This product works.
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    ​There is a recipe on Google but I think it is 1/2 quart of hydrogen peroxide, 1/8 cup of baking soda and 1 tsp. dish soap. You mix it up, don gloves and work it into the animals coat right to the skin. If you have a long hair dog I think you would need to double the recipe?
    Our dog got skunked on Tuesday morning and we used this recipe to de-skunk him. Not pretty.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Our little guy Brutus got too close to one in the back yard couple years ago. DH wasn't home. I had just given him a haircut and bath. I smelled the darn thing and looked around the house and didn't see it. Well Brutus did. Back to the tub (outside of course). I have always use Dawn to bathe the dogs (helps with fleas). I also use Johnson's no more tears shampoo. This time I grabbed the baking soda (helps to absorb the skunk oil). Used half a box, maybe more. I did this on dry hair and clumps and falls off. Worked the Dawn into the dry hair also. Wet him down and worked big lather rinsed and used his conditioning shampoo then rinsed again. He wasn't sure he wanted to go back outside the rest of the day. Let the neighbors know about the skunk and evidently their fur baby got too close also. they were using the same recipe I was.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    ​There is a recipe on Google but I think it is 1/2 quart of hydrogen peroxide, 1/8 cup of baking soda and 1 tsp. dish soap. You mix it up, don gloves and work it into the animals coat right to the skin. If you have a long hair dog I think you would need to double the recipe?
    This is what's online, my sis had dog got skunked few times used it but have to use few times

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
    Our little guy Brutus got too close to one in the back yard couple years ago. DH wasn't home. I had just given him a haircut and bath. I smelled the darn thing and looked around the house and didn't see it. Well Brutus did. Back to the tub (outside of course). I have always use Dawn to bathe the dogs (helps with fleas). I also use Johnson's no more tears shampoo. This time I grabbed the baking soda (helps to absorb the skunk oil). Used half a box, maybe more. I did this on dry hair and clumps and falls off. Worked the Dawn into the dry hair also. Wet him down and worked big lather rinsed and used his conditioning shampoo then rinsed again. He wasn't sure he wanted to go back outside the rest of the day. Let the neighbors know about the skunk and evidently their fur baby got too close also. they were using the same recipe I was.
    Have to remember this one hope never happens, with asthma I'd have awful time

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Up North View Post
    I do have a can of tomato juice but heard it really doesn't work so not sure
    Ages ago, my Mom used tomato juice.

He has had one bath with peroxide, baking soda and dawn dish soap. going to see how that is when he drys off a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Up North View Post
    Lastnight my dog got skunked! I am not sure he got hit directly but he sure does smell as does my back entry. Anyone have any good solutions?
    I've always heard to use tomato juice.

Blog Entries
    years ago, our BIG lab was skunked. tomatoe juice, dawn + baking soda, baking soda/peroxide, carpet deodorizer, all tried. a couple of them, several times. NOTHING WORKED 100%, because when ever he got the slightest bit damp, from dew, the smell came back... I think we ended up shaving him down..... several times, before it all got off..... good luck... hope something works for you...

Since club soda works well on removing stains, if it would work well on a dog's skin and hair for removing skunk odor?

Dawn dish soap and plenty of it, followed by Downey fabric softner. Sounds wierd, but it works

Dawn dishwashing liquid, peroxide and baking soda
    Who needs therapy? I quilt!

I used the dawn dish soap peroxide and baking soda I think he needs another bath and tomorrow is going to be sunny so that is when I will do it he is much better tho and We do let him in the house now.
    Poor puppy!

Quote Originally Posted by Feather3 View Post
    This is the one that works the best! Tomato juice is a waste of time.

Blog Entries

Bar Soap

Most of what was stated does help. The one thing that helped us with this situation was a bar of
    "Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap". Good luck.

We lived in the woods and this was a regular activity for us -- come home to find our dog smelling like a skunk! We used tomato juice but now I understand white vinegar works just as good. Vinegar is what we use to clean the cat litter boxes when they need washing out and deodorizing also. When using it for the cat boxes use it sparingly and rinse it several times or the cats will refuse to use the box.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
    The peroxide/ baking soda/Original Dawn Dish is what has always worked for me. It may take several treatments to rid the worst of it.
    ditto here--the state vet school recommends it too. Leave it on for a little while (few minutes) so it works. You may have to repeat if it was a direct hit. Good luck! And if the dog came inside, get your your Lysol spray cause it seems like the upholstered furniture and carpet instantly absorb it! We've unfortunately had more than one experience with this situation

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2