Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who is using decorative stitches? >

Who is using decorative stitches?

Who is using decorative stitches?

Old 07-22-2019, 11:05 AM

Default Who is using decorative stitches?

Ok guys, who is using decorative stitches (like the ones built into your sewing machine) and for what reason? I have never once used them and I’m so curious as to how I even would. Top stitching?? For quilting at all? A little bit of flair? What am I missing here? I was reading about Tula’s Bernina 770 with the extra decorative stitches and I’m thinking, “who is using these?!” I’d love to know everyone’s thoughts. And photos if you have...

Last edited by littledentist; 07-22-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:09 AM

I have done zero decorative stitches so far with my new-to-me sewing machine. I haven't even made a button hole in about 20 years...

I do have some ideas to try my fancy stitches on a string quilt/crazy quilt hybrid.

I'm going to make some "Bad Sunbonnet Sue" blocks, one of which will be prison Sue and her number of 8675309 will be on her outfit. If that seems familiar it is Jenny by Tommy Tutone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WTdTwcmxyo

So far that's all I have! But I see many wonderful things by creative people. One of the ladies in my Tuesday group uses a preset curving line for most of her preemie quilts.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:10 AM
Power Poster

My machines are older - but even on those - I mostly use the "utility" stitches now and then.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:11 AM
Power Poster

I have only used the decorative stitches on my Bernina a few times. I have used them to do the final stitches on binding. Here is a link to a photo example I posted. I machine stitched the binding to the front using a decorative stitch. Super simple Quilt as you go placemat

I really wouldn't miss them if I didn't have them.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:38 AM

Decorative stitches are great for crazy quilt blocks!
Old 07-22-2019, 11:51 AM

I sew my bindings on the back then bring them to the front and use a decorative stitch, even my DD does it now. Makes a nice touch to the quilt. I also use a decorative stitch when quilting a small quilt. My twin size or larger go to the long arm. But the others including wall hangings get dec. stitches on them. My suggestion would be to make a pot holder or placemat an try out some of the built in stitches. You would be surprised how nice it makes them look
Old 07-22-2019, 12:05 PM

I often use them for small gifts like covered notebooks, drawstring bags, zippy pouches etc. A line or two of fancy stitching in a matching colour thread is all you need to make something look a million dollars (why do we Brits not say a million pounds I wonder?)

My young grandson likes using all of them on almost everything he sews !!
Old 07-22-2019, 12:18 PM

When making my crazy quilt, I used the dec. stitches a lot.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:25 PM
Power Poster

I use my serpentine stitch a lot to quilt my donation quilts. I have used several other of the stitches from time to time for decoration.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:29 PM

I have to admit I have not used any of the many decorative stitches on my Janome 7700 for quilting. I have used utility stitches for other sewing, like the zig zag stitch, the stretch stitch and I have also made buttonholes.