Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestion for a quick and scrap friendly "rustic" looking quilt >

Suggestion for a quick and scrap friendly "rustic" looking quilt

Suggestion for a quick and scrap friendly "rustic" looking quilt

Old 08-02-2019, 02:04 PM

I don't know if it would meet the goal of rustic (or quick), but Ocean Waves would be lovely in the colors you have.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:25 PM

“Quick” is the main thing here, sounds like. For rustic, scrappy, and quick, I would consider:

Bricks
Rail Fence
Churn dash
9 patch (might use blues in every block but change up the neutrals)
Old 08-02-2019, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
​If you have lights and dark, a Log Cabin is rustic.
I totally agree, but I've never done a log cabin in my quilting life! I may be wrong, but for me a Log cabin is a nightware if you find the cuting phase too boring... Maybe there is a trick I didn't got yet.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
I don't know if it would meet the goal of rustic (or quick), but Ocean Waves would be lovely in the colors you have.
Yeaaahhhh, I totally agree. But this one is not a quickie... unless you have tons of HS waiting to be put together (I don't have a single one, lol)
Old 08-02-2019, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
“Quick” is the main thing here, sounds like. For rustic, scrappy, and quick, I would consider:

Bricks
Rail Fence
Churn dash
9 patch (might use blues in every block but change up the neutrals)
Zozee, you are a genius. I've been dying to make a churn dash for years but never had the chance. This would indeed look "rustic"/traditional/homey. It's perfect!
Old 08-02-2019, 04:37 PM

Have you checked out Quiltville?
Old 08-02-2019, 06:07 PM

Not sure if you are familiar with the Disappearing 9 Patch - but they come together pretty quickly with Charm packs (5” squares). My friend and i are putting together 2 for donation to our guild’s charity quilt program. We are using a 4 x 5 block setting with no borders. So for one quilt you would need a total of 20 blocks.

The Missouri Star Quilt Company has some great tutorials and you will find the Disappearing Nine Patch there!

Your friend is truly blessed to have a friend such as you... praying all goes well for her and that she feels the big hug that quilt brings!
Old 08-02-2019, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by profannie View Post
Zozee, you are a genius. I've been dying to make a churn dash for years but never had the chance. This would indeed look "rustic"/traditional/homey. It's perfect!
Why, thank you very much! May I quote you on that to my hubby? I did something recently that puts the word "genius" in quotes!

Churn dash is truly one of the simplest, homiest blocks out there. Glad you now have the perfect opportunity to make a churn dash quilt for your enjoyment as well as to share with someone you love.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:50 PM

You probably have already thought about backing, but if not, I strongly suggest using flannel. Chemo rooms are so cold. I made a quilt for my friend when she was going through breast cancer. She loved the warm flannel and the fact that I made it big enough to cover her from chin, to tuck down under her feet, and to tuck into the sides of the chair without fighting for coverage. (I used a Warm Wishes pattern because I, too, was going for quick when she was diagnosed.) She treasures that quilt to this day.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:07 AM

My idea of rustic is a frayed edges quilt, the kind made with layers of fabric squares and all the seam allowances showing on one side of the quilt and fraying. I made one for a friend.