Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Deb Tucker = my key to accuracy >

Deb Tucker = my key to accuracy

Deb Tucker = my key to accuracy

Old 08-02-2019, 11:42 PM

Thumbs up Deb Tucker = my key to accuracy

I am a Deb Tucker fan and fanatic. I have all of her tools (templates, rulers, however you would describe the,) except the very newest, which will be added to my wall of tools shortly. I am currently working on a king size quilt for our daughter in CA. It is “Magic Squares” by Helene Knott of StoryQuilts.com it is completely geometric and if the points are cut off the illusion of 3D will not happen. I used Electric Quilt 8 to upsize the twin pattern to a king. Everything is coming together perfectly and I cannot wait to have pics to show. For me precision and small components in piecing bring me enjoyment and relaxation. Being a perfectionist in my own work is a known character flaw LOL. Deb Tucker and her Studio 180 let me achieve that without wearing out rippers and tearing out my hair. Have you tried them and are you also a fan?
Old 08-03-2019, 02:05 AM

Yes, I am also a fan of her rulers. If accuracy is important to you, her rulers rock.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:20 AM
Power Poster

I bet your quilt is beautiful. I rarely notice precision piecing in a finished quilt unless that is what I'm looking at the quilt for which is rarely never. LOL As long as my seams match and everything is square that is about all the perfection I care about in my quilts. I have a lot of Deb Tucker's rulers, bought for classes, but seldom use them after the class. I should try and use them more. Don't forget to post a picture of your finished quilt.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:38 AM

I am a huge DT fan as well. I use her tools whenever I can. I think I have all but two of them. Every time I'm at a show where she is, she is out of the Split Recs tool! I haven't looked into her 4-patch tool.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by wesing View Post
I am a huge DT fan as well. I use her tools whenever I can. I think I have all but two of them. Every time I'm at a show where she is, she is out of the Split Recs tool! I haven't looked into her 4-patch tool.
I have ordered from her website with good response. Have you purchased any of her Technique Sheets? Even more ideas for ways to create.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

I was looking at my Deb Tucker rulers and have two of the Split Rec ones. I remember I needed one for a class and couldn't find it. I did find it later in the project box with the UFO of the class project. One quilt shop in town has a Deb Tucker certified instructor and has classes every week. The classes are a lot of fun.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:38 AM

I have tried the Wing Clipper and the V block ruler. I'm amazed at the ingenuity behind them. I would prefer to avoid trimming, so making an oversized unit is not my first choice, but if I can't get a unit to come out right, it's nice to know there are lots of Deb Tucker rulers available to make a trim down version.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:50 AM
anonymous

I just used the wing clipper for a quilt and was amazed at how little was trimmed. Totally worth the uniform blocks to me.

Old 08-04-2019, 02:45 AM

I have seen previous comments about the Deb Tucker rulers but am not familiar with them. How are they different than creative grid or other reputable products?
Old 08-04-2019, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by bneuen View Post
I have seen previous comments about the Deb Tucker rulers but am not familiar with them. How are they different than creative grid or other reputable products?
I am not sure what your comment “reputable products” was meant. While Deb’s tools can and do do measure they are not technically rulers. Her approach is entirely different. Take for example adding a differently colored corner to a block. Deb’s Corner POP tool allows you tool allows you to do 22 different sizes. Step 1. Determine size desired for corner. 2. On tool find the size and trim off corner of block. 3. On instructions with tool find the size square to cut in half to create oversized triangle. (No saving cut off triangles to find a use for later if doing 2 or 4 corners of block) 4. Approximately center over sized triangle on trimmed corner of block. 5. Sew 6. Using another part of tool, trim excess from triangle to exactly create a perfectly square block. Creative Grids ruler for this has you use typical method of cutting the square. Then using the ruler to trim off square and corner before sewing. They are merely doing the usual method just cutting before stitching. For clearer understanding of her concepts check out her teaching videos on UTube.

Her basic concept is to oversize elements then trim down to create perfectly square blocks.