Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Converting Machine Piecing pattern to hand piecing >

Converting Machine Piecing pattern to hand piecing

Converting Machine Piecing pattern to hand piecing

Old 12-01-2009, 05:48 AM

Hello,

I'm a beginner quilter and have joined a quilting club where we are doing several blocks a month. I started by hand piecing the blocks and then realized the patterns were for machine piecing and my blocks would be too big. I'd like to do the blocks with hand piecing but most of the patterns are for machine piecing. Is there an easy way that I can convert the pattern and make templates? Thank you for any help.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:58 AM

Welcome to the board! If I understand your question correctly, you have started hand piecing the blocks instead of machine piecing. This shouldn't affect the size of the block as long as your seams are 1/4 (or whatever the pattern calls for). I've done both hand piecing and machine piecing, and the size of the block is the same. Let me know if I misunderstood your question. I'm only on my first cup of coffee.

Renee
Old 12-01-2009, 12:09 PM
Power Poster

You can draw a faint line on the back of your fabrics to keep an even 1/4" line. A disappearing ink may work well for this if you mark as you go..the ink doesn't last for more than 24 hours or so. Test some on your fabric, depending on the humidity in your home will determine how long you will be able to see it.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:34 AM

Thanks for your reply! The book is Sylvia's Bridal Sampler from Elm Creek Quilts and I'm working on blocks A1-A8. Each one is a different technique. The first one says 1. Make 1 each of foundation patterns A,B,C. 2. Sew Foundation A to Foundation B. 3. Sew foundation C to foundation A/B press. In the back there are pieces to trace to make templates. So if I trace these pieces, can I sew right along the tracing line or do I have to sew a quarter inch into the tracing line?

Block A2 - This one says (I'm leaving out the colors to save space) 1. Cut 4 squares 2 7/8" x 2 7/8 inch. Make 4 quick pieced triangle squares. 3. Cut 5 squares 2 1/2" x 2 1/2". 4 Sew the block segments into 3 rows and press together. So would I just have to go a quarter inch smaller on all of the measurements, make a template and then sew along the tracing line?

These two blocks seem simpler but I'm wondering if this project might be too much for a beginner - there are 120 blocks total with all different techniques. Has anyone seen this book and if so do you think I'm in over my head? Thanks so much in advance for any help!
Old 12-06-2009, 07:54 AM

I have seen this quilt before and you may be in over your head but you will learn a lot by doing them. Just don't give up, if you are like me you just rip it out and start over. I have done blocks 3 or 4 times before I am satisfied. That is why I prefer applique LOL.