Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Licensed Fabric question >

Licensed Fabric question

Licensed Fabric question

Old 08-15-2019, 06:51 AM

Default Licensed Fabric question

This has probably been discussed before, but I can't find it. Can we sell a quilt with licensed fabric in it at our quilt show?

Our quilt show is having a "Buy it Now" area where we will have small quilts, table runners, etc., for sale. A few of the small, toddler size quilts have licensed fabric in them, i.e., Olaf, Cars, Hulk. These were donated by members to put in the Buy it Now section of the quilt show. There are only a few and only one of each, so it isn't a production-type situation.

1. Can we sell these at the quilt show?
2. If not, can we ask for donations instead of a purchase price and still make them available?
3. Can we use them in a Brown-Bag Drawing where you purchase a strip of tickets and put a ticket in the brown bag of the item you wish to win and a winning ticket is selected?

Thank you for your advice.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:54 AM

I would say yes with no problems. The primary issue is when you are commercially making things.

This is a good discussion on the subject.
https://info.legalzoom.com/can-make-...ric-21253.html
Old 08-15-2019, 08:15 PM

Iceblossom.
Thank you! This helps a lot!!
Old 08-16-2019, 04:29 AM
Power Poster

The license is for the manufacturer to print the fabric.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:22 AM

If you have made it with fabric, you are fine. The licensing is paid with the manufacturer and store. But, stick with fabric. There is a 'permanent' flea market/swap meet in Orange County California and every year few months the disney reps wander through. Years ago my friend and I sold there and had denim jackets (for kids) that had big little mermaid appliques on the them. She would purchase sheets and cut the designs from them and then applique (also small bits on hats). I bought fabrics and would make sundresses and small gathered skirts to sell. Disney came by and told her the jackets were illegal because of where she got the designs, but the dresses and skirts were ok. Never figured it out, but we kept a bag with the cut selvages so we could always show that we had purchased the fabrics. We also switched the jackets to a generic mermaid fabric and they stopped bothering us. (We had a regular spot at this event for 8 years.) They used this same rule for all our other designs. I always figure that if a company as big as Disney used this standard for their rules, it would be a good one to follow with the other companies (marvel, bbc, etc).