Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Converting treadle cabinet to electric >

Converting treadle cabinet to electric

Converting treadle cabinet to electric

Old 08-15-2019, 11:27 AM

Post Converting treadle cabinet to electric

Hi all, thanks for having me. This is my first post. I need some information please. My Great grandmother taught me to sew on a vintage Singer. I believe it was made around the 1950s. I’ve always wondered what happened to that machine and always wished I had it. I have found one very similar in a Singer 99k. I’m sure hers was a little older but this model is close enough and in great shape. I also found a cabinet that matched hers although it was made for a treadle. It seems she told a story about hers starting out as a treadle machine but later was upgraded to electric. Wheather I remember correctly or not I do not know. Anyway I would like to use the treadle cabinet I found with the electric 99K. Is there a way to use the foot peddle on the cabinet instead of the electric foot peddle? I know I used the cabinet peddle instead of the regular foot peddle. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-15-2019, 12:57 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
Sorry, can't help with your machine
Old 08-15-2019, 02:07 PM

I think I understand your question, so I'm going to repeat what I think you'd like to do.

Your machine (Singer 99) is electric and you'd like to put it in an empty treadle cabinet. You would like to use the treadle for the foot pedal (another word for controller).

If that is what you are asking, then yes, it's possible. Many commercial sewing machines have a foot pedal (controller) that is wide enough for both feet to fit on. My guess is that it would take a lot of experimentation to get it to control the machine speed correctly. This is kind of a weird idea, but you could wire a pedal from a Touch and Sew and put it under the treadle. When you push on the treadle, it would push down the pedal. You would have to disconnect the bar that goes from the treadle to the wheel as it's usual way of working is to turn the wheel in a continuous motion, and the usual way the treadle works is to continually move up and down.

Sure it could be done. The question is will it work well enough and with enough precision to be practical.

Someone will come up with a better idea, I'm sure.

bkay
Old 08-15-2019, 03:40 PM

I have to throw out the caution flag here. the 99 is a 3/4 sized machine and most treadle bases are made for a full size machine besides the gap in the working area you may find that the hinge pins won't line up either. or even the general shape.

Are you asking about using a knee controller?
Old 08-15-2019, 05:48 PM

My mother had her machine converted to electric and it had a lever you pushed with your knee. If you want the treadle foot power maybe someone could hook it up with a generator to make power, like on a bicycle for a light.
Have no idea if it would work. Ask a electrician.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:09 PM

Patricia, your grandmother's machine was probably a 66, which looks just like a 99. Only the 99 is 3/4 of the size of a 66. The 66 was the best selling model of Singer machines from the 30's to the late 60's. As Leon states, there may be an issue in the 99 fitting into the standard sized treadle cabinet. I know nothing about that.

When I read your post, my first inclination (regarding the making the treadle work as a controller) was, "That won't work". Then, I questioned that thought.

Yes, of course, you can make it work. It depends on how much time you have, how much you want it and how much you are willing to spend. Making the treadle act as a controller is doable.

Finding a 3/4 sized treadle cabinet may not be easy. There may be adaptors, work arounds or other solutions to the problem. I just don't know.

bkay
Old 08-15-2019, 06:17 PM

Welcome Ncdebval.

If the 99 is similar to your great grandmother's, then it is possible that the machine you remember could be a 66. Like Leon said the 99 is a 3/4 machine, From my understanding there was a 3/4 treadle, but they are few and far between. The 66 would be the full size machine and there are a lot of treadle cabinets for them. I do like the 99s, too.

From my understanding, there was a period of time that Singer had a motor that attached to the cabinet that could be controlled with the treadle pedal rather than a smaller foot controller. According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singer_Model_27_and_127 there was one patented by Philip H Diehl, but I couldn't find the patent for that one. I remember someone showing a picture of one that was on a straight leg treadle, but I can't find that one now, either . I did find http://patentimages.storage.googleap.../US1792818.pdf which seems to indicate that there was indeed a motor that could be attached to a treadle and use the treadle pedal to run the motor.

I did find Neighbor gifted me with this today that is about an industrial cabinet that was made for either treadle or motor power.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 08-15-2019 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Not affiliated with off-site links
Old 08-16-2019, 03:47 AM

I agree with the others regarding the size of your machine and the treadle base. I have my g-grandmother's treadle base. The machine that was originally in there had been electrified at some point. When my grandmother had the machine it and the base were somehow separated. I was given the base after my grandmother's passing. The Singer 15 machine I have does not fit. I finally found an electrified 66 that will eventually go into this base. If I ever get around to finishing up the cleaning/refurb process, lol.