Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Neighbor gifted me with this today >

Neighbor gifted me with this today

Neighbor gifted me with this today

Old 04-20-2012, 08:24 AM

Default Neighbor gifted me with this today

Our neighbor had this sitting out in his open shed, was going to sell it for scrap but gave me the option of bringing it home. It is now sitting in my dining room, needs cleaning up. The machine that goes with it is in another location & I am not sure if I will be able to get it. My Pfaff Hobby 1200 Grandquilter will fit perfectly into the recessed area with only minor modifications. Here are a few pics, I would like to know what model of machine came with this originally. I am thinking something Industrial. It is a treadle base, but has a 1/3 Horsepower motor mounted in the rear. Plugged it in and it purrs like a kitten. The number on the switch at left front is 797307 and there are two numbers on the motor: S94161-R and M 539088. There is a paper bag of needles in the drawer that are short shank. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I might just have to find a singer machine to put in it.
Attached Thumbnails 007.jpg   008.jpg   009.jpg  
Old 04-20-2012, 09:53 AM

Hard to say...there were actually quite a few industrial type machines from 1920s-1940s, any of which could have been in this base. Nice that you got it!!
Old 04-20-2012, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by beckalou View Post
...I would like to know what model of machine came with this originally. I am thinking something Industrial. It is a treadle base, but has a 1/3 Horsepower motor mounted in the rear. ..
Hi beckalou,

That is an unusual industrial stand. It’s called a “Singer Combination Industrial Stand”, because it’s both treadle and electric, and can be converted back and forth quickly. It has a two-piece pitman rod on the treadle flywheel that can be disconnected by removing the coupling nut in the pitman rod, and the electric motor control can be attached to the same treadle plate with an adjustable two-piece hooked rod. It’s one of the few straight-leg Singer Industrial treadle stands, if not the only one (most Singer Industrial treadle stands have the ornate cast iron legs). Many Singer industrial treadles have been converted to electric, but this one was sold to be both at the same time, with only a quick change of the power means.

I have one that is missing the coupling nut on the pitman rod (hard to find), and it came to me with a Singer 31-15 in it. Other Singer Industrials can be mounted in it (my 96-40 machine for one) if they require a 7” x 18 7/8” cut-out and have a 13 3/8" pin spacing.

Great find! Wish it was mine.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 04-20-2012, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

Neat find! Congrats!
Old 04-20-2012, 09:59 AM

Oops! The motor size is 1/4 HP as you can clearly see in the last picture. And hubby says that the treadle looking pedal he thinks is actually a brake to stop the machine? I talked to my neighbor and it doesn't look as if we are going to be able to get the machine that goes in it. But I am very happy with what I have. I may be getting another old Singer today. The neighbor has another one she wants to get rid of, it's at least 30 years old. She can't remember what color it is, her hubby will be pulling it out later today.........can't wait to see what it might be. It's in a cabinet, but the leg is broke on the cabinet.........I have no problem with that........lol
Old 04-20-2012, 10:00 AM

It's an industrial table for sure. My local SMG has one just like it with a big machine in it. I'd kind of push the issue and try to get the machine that came out of it.

Joe
Old 04-20-2012, 04:01 PM

Pretty cabinet, sleek design for the age of it! I'm jealous!!!
Old 04-21-2012, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
... My local SMG has one just like it with a big machine in it..
Joe

Joe,

beckalou’s industrial combination stand is only the second one like these that I’ve seen. There was another industrial combination stand that was made for the same application, but it had curved cast iron legs instead of the straight legs. Can you get a photo of the one that your local SMG has?

CD in Oklahoma
Old 04-21-2012, 05:19 PM

Sweet gift!
Old 04-21-2012, 08:30 PM

I think you are right...an industrial...early model, but an industrial. I had a Juki upholstery machine made in 1975...it had a foot pedal, not unlike the treddle. you push forward to go and back on the heel to help stop the machine. That is a powerful motor, and if you just stop...the machine runs on for a good 5-10 stitches. Nice of the neighbor to give it to you.