Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Putting label on the front of quilt >

Putting label on the front of quilt

Putting label on the front of quilt

Old 08-17-2019, 09:07 AM

Default Putting label on the front of quilt

Good afternoon ladies,
I would like to know what you think of putting a label on the front instead of the back? I am not a very good hand sewer. The back is fleece and kind of thick and I also have batting in it. I could put it on the back and the stitching will show on the front or use wonder under. Thanks in advance
Kathy.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-17-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:35 AM

My vote would be for label on the back and only hand sew through the fleece backing and the batting. You do not have to take the stitching all the way to the front.

I am not too keen on fusing labels without any stitching to secure it. I have seen labels and applique that had only been fused come away after repeated washing.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

QB has a tutorial on using your machine alphabet to do a label on your binding. I think putting a label on the front would only work if it was a design element like a flower or butterfly.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:52 AM

I have incorporated "labels" onto the front of quilts before. Mostly though (to the dismay of those who think I should) I don't label most of my quilts, only the special ones like for weddings and such.

If you have a blank area in your blocks (like the square center of a star), consider making a transfer and ironing it onto the blank area. You can buy the "paper" at fabric stores or office supplies.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:53 AM
Power Poster

Most of the time I use a fabric marker and sign the bottom right on my quilt top in small script. I have seen many art quilts signed this way in the last few years and I have been doing it since my first quilt and didn't know it was suppose to be a label sewn on the back. Who made that rule?
Old 08-17-2019, 10:23 AM

Recently I sewed a label on the back using my machine. The thread in the bobbin was the same color as the border on the quilt so when it was sewn you could hardly see where it was. l So in the future that is what I am going todo. My quilts are to be used, enjoyed, loved and abused LOLOLOL
Old 08-17-2019, 07:04 PM

I saw a picture of a quilt yesterday that was gifted to a bride and groom, who was the son of the maker. One of the large plain blocks on the front had been embroidered with their name, the date, and a sweet sentiment. But..... There's is a spelling error in it. The word "beginning" was spelled "begining". I honestly didn't know if I should message her to tell her (which i didn't do). The quilt itself is very pretty, and the pictures of the couple wrapped up in it are sweet - but there's that misspelled word, not exactly in the center, but not on the edge, and quite obvious. I'll always do labels on the back!
Old 08-18-2019, 04:31 AM
Power Poster

Since artists sign their names on the front I don't see why a quilter can't!
Old 08-19-2019, 03:59 AM

In MHO it is your quilt, you do it how ever you want, and if that means label on the front go for it. The only rules for quilting apply to competition (judged quilts) and for yourself do what pleases you. Sewing and quilting are suppose to make You happy with no stress. Have fun how ever you decide to label your quilt. That’s my 2 cents worth.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-19-2019 at 06:24 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 08-19-2019, 04:32 AM

I am working on a quilt that has an 1/2 inch flange. I stitched my name and city with my machine. It is on the front. Sewn with thread to match the flange. hardly seen, but it is there. The quilt is double sided, so no saying what is front and back.