Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Putting your label on your quilts >

Putting your label on your quilts

Putting your label on your quilts

Old 07-31-2011, 11:53 AM

Where, when and how do you put your labels on your quilts? Do you put them on before its quilted, after its quilted, do you iron it on or sew it on? If you sew it on, do you sew it by hand or machine? What do you put on your labels?

Just curious as to everyone does them. :?:
Old 07-31-2011, 12:06 PM

I sew my label on with a decorative stitch before I start quilting and quilt through it. I usually put at least my name, the name of the person I'm giving it to, and the occasion, like "Christmas, 2011". If I know the pattern name and designer of the pattern, I put those on the label, too.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

i hand sew mine on after quilt is quilted and binding is on i usually make a personal label for that person sometimes using something that is in quilt
Old 07-31-2011, 12:34 PM

label? we are supposed to label them? hehe I am lucky to get the quilt washed before it heads out the door. but that is mostly because they are going to giving widows the day of the funeral. and if they are not I try and put a label on it. after it is quilted and when I put the binding on the front. I hand sew the corners that dont get sewn into the binding. probably doing it wrong but that is okay.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

For the quilts that I've given away, I've made a personal note style label and hand sewn it on.

As for the ones I've kept, only a few have received their label! The rest are on my wanta gotta shoulda coulda do it sometime list! Should do it before my alzheimers kicks in and I totally forget the what-for's and when's of each quilt!!
Old 07-31-2011, 12:40 PM

I hand sew after quilt is done. Someone on the board said they put pieces of the quilt fabric under the label for future repairs I try and do this also.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:44 PM

When I remember, I hand sew it on -- just recently I have "designed" an initial to put with it that is my signature for my label.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:11 PM

I try to add a label to every quilt that I give as a gift. The one's I keep I'm not so good at adding a label.;

I add mine after the quilt is quilted. I usually use an extra block or some extra scraps from the front of the quilt, use my embroidery machine to "write" the label. I then sew it right sides together with a lightweight fusible interfacing, turn right sides out and Iron the label on the quilt. I then go back and stitch the label on the quilt. The interfacing helps to give me a turned edge and keeps the label in position to sew it on.

On the label I say who the quilt is for and why, ie: birth, wedding, comfort, dates of event if birth or wedding and my name and date quilt was finished
Old 07-31-2011, 01:18 PM

Always put the year on it. this could mean a lot if it`s still around in 100 yrs.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Xstitshmom
When I remember, I hand sew it on -- just recently I have "designed" an initial to put with it that is my signature for my label.
I like that idea!!